sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 18, 2019 10:04 pm  #1

Orillia FM Flips Format

Canadian Radio News reports that CISO Orillia, the Classic Hits station at 89.1, is Classic Hits no more. It's switched to Alternative Rock, with a promise it will give a reward to any listener that catches them playing Nickelback. 

See the story here. 

May 18, 2019 10:25 pm  #2

Re: Orillia FM Flips Format

the format flip happened at the start of may.  the station sounds pretty good, but there's a bit of work to be done to tighten the playlist somewhat.  or maybe focus is a better word.  it's a good fit for the region.  i find rock95 is often bland "dad rock" and the dock has moved to something more modern ever since bell took over.  simcoe county won't miss the loss of another a/c slash 80s classic hits jukebox, that's for sure.

the nickelback paradox is funny.  a band everyone loves to hate, despite their immense success.  how does a band sell out tours and with #1 singles manage to evoke such vitriol?

May 19, 2019 8:33 am  #3

splunge wrote:

i find rock95 is often bland "dad rock" and the dock has moved to something more modern ever since bell took over.  simcoe county won't miss the loss of another a/c slash 80s classic hits jukebox, that's for sure.

89.1 just played Tegan and Sarah's Closer and some other pop leaning rock songs.
Sounds like an alt pop/rock station to me.
An alternative to Rock 95 and the Dock, yes.
Replacement? HELL NO!! 

It will be interesting to see how ratings turn out down the road...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 19, 2019 8:41 am  #4

The station has also been rebranded, which I think was a big mistake.  It was formerly known as Sunshine 89, in reference to the City of Orillia in which it is located.  Orillia is known as the Sunshine City.   The parent company also rebranded 97.7 The Beach in Wasaga Beach.   Both great local brands.   They are now known as 89 Max, and Max 97.7.   

May 21, 2019 10:41 am  #5

Nothing beats Moose FM out of Parry Sound/Huntsville - great playlists!

May 21, 2019 10:52 am  #6

kman wrote:

markow202 wrote:

Nothing beats Moose FM out of Parry Sound/Huntsville - great playlists!

This is sarcasm I hope.

You have to think of the region and formats going on up there.  Pretty much its eitheir going to be country music of classic something....mostly rock and 80s etc.   Moose takes the classic and current Top 40s and mixes it all up decently.