sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 29, 2019 7:40 pm  #1

May 8th: Another Emergency Alert System Test - Can they get it right?

It's deja poo all over again, as we all get to experience/not experience the Alert Ready System test next Wednesday May the 8th on radios, televisions, and cellphones (almost) everywhere.

It would make a great story for the news team at Newstalk 1010, or another station, to get to the bottom of why these tests are so spectacularly unsuccessful, and who is responsible for the continuing circus...

Last edited by betaylored (April 29, 2019 10:31 pm)

April 30, 2019 12:27 pm  #2

Re: May 8th: Another Emergency Alert System Test - Can they get it right?

How are the alerts unsuccessful?  The other day an amber alert was issued and within an hour or more the child was found.  Many say the alert is what made it happen.

April 30, 2019 12:32 pm  #3

They still have a lot to work out technically.

In the office for last week's alert, the first one didn't go out over anyone's phone (The subsequent ones did) and none of them made it to the TV (Rogers cable tuned to Sportsnet)

April 30, 2019 4:11 pm  #4

RadioAaron wrote:

They still have a lot to work out technically.

In the office for last week's alert, the first one didn't go out over anyone's phone (The subsequent ones did) and none of them made it to the TV (Rogers cable tuned to Sportsnet)

All came through on my television (Rogers tuned to CNN),  however I was able to return to the broadcast each time by simply pushing the remote's "OK Select" button.  I wasn't aware of this feature until I discovered it accidently during a prior alert.

April 30, 2019 6:03 pm  #5

I was on a bus at the time and not everyones phone was going off.  

May 3, 2019 11:13 am  #6

betaylored wrote:

It's deja poo all over again, as we all get to experience/not experience the Alert Ready System test next Wednesday May the 8th on radios, televisions, and cellphones (almost) everywhere.

As it turns out, we won't be getting the texts/messages on May 8th after all. While most of the rest of country will be hearing/seeing the interruption, according to the CRTC timeline, Ontario and Quebec will be exempt because of the flooding emergency. 

In other words, they won't test to see if the emergency alert works because there's an actual emergency. Can't argue with that logic!

Public Alert Schedule 

May 3, 2019 2:13 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

In other words, they won't test to see if the emergency alert works because there's an actual emergency. Can't argue with that logic! 

May 3, 2019 11:39 pm  #8

Dial Twister wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Next up: "Today's weather report has been called off on account of bad weather..." 🙄