sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 29, 2019 11:43 am  #1

How Do You Deal With A Death In Your Broadcast Family?

Not exactly a cheery subject for a Friday or a weekend, but I found this story interesting, nonetheless. It's about the death of an on-air personality and how the station dealt with it. 

It got me to remembering when that happened in the places I've worked. Unfortunately, it's occurred far too many times - and not all of them were "old veterans." I remember one reporter who passed away from cancer. Another guy, only in his 30s, was found dead of a heart attack in his camera truck. 

It is a very weird thing to try and deal with when it involves someone you've known and worked with for so long, even if they're not technically what you might call a "friend." 

Some stations actually set up tributes to the departed. City TV, for instance, still has Mark Dailey as the first voice you hear when you phone the station's switchboard, a nice remembrance of someone who is gone but definitely not forgotten.

I well recall their coverage of Colin Vaughan's sudden passing over the Christmas holidays while he was enjoying time with his family. And their send-off of Glen Cole, who died suddenly and very unexpectedly of an aneurysm.

So much of TV and radio is trying to convey an atmosphere that's concocted for the audience. It's sad but also fascinating to see what happens when reality hits home. 

How Do You Deal With A Death In Your Broadcast Family?

March 29, 2019 12:06 pm  #2

Re: How Do You Deal With A Death In Your Broadcast Family?

I remember that day very well. What stunned me was the lack of clips they had of Otto, despite all his years at the place.

I recall they were putting out requests on air for anyone who had taped any of his shows and begging them to call the station and donate them for a special they were planning, hosted by Jim Pastrick and Tom Bauerle. 

It's hard to believe they didn't save anything, but radio frequently doesn't hang onto its heritage. 

March 29, 2019 1:41 pm  #3

Re: How Do You Deal With A Death In Your Broadcast Family?

Chuck99 wrote:

I remember when legendary WGR talk show host John Otto passed away nearly 20 years ago.   He had continued to host his late night talk show from his home right up to the time of his death. 

I believe he passed away on the weekend, so the station spent most of Monday evening reminiscing about his years at GR and the time he jumped ship to work at WKBW.   Because John had not been in the best of health for awhile, the station seemed somewhat prepared for his passing. 

Ironically, he died about a month before the station flipped to all-sports.  Apparently, the station manager said that John could continue to do the show until he either could not or no longer wanted to do it.  I am guessing had he lived another year, it likely would have continued to air in the same time slot, but on WBEN 930.

Your post reminded me that somewhere in my deep, dark past I recorded and encoded the final tribute show to Otto that appeared on WGR-AM the day he passed away on Dec. 6, 1999. After searching my computer, I found it.

I'm not sure how many people will be interested in this, but if you are, I uploaded the first hour at the link below. 

John Otto Tribute, WGR-AM, Dec. 6, 1999

And here's a much shorter (about a minute-and-a-half) intro from Otto's Extension 55 which shows his humour at its best. Not sure of the year. 

Extension 55 Intro, WGR

Last edited by RadioActive (March 29, 2019 1:52 pm)