sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 24, 2019 9:11 pm  #1

Energy 95.3 mornings

I was quite wrong about Corus putting a syndicated show on 95.3. Instead, the frequency will re-enter the Toronto market and light a match on the CHR battle...

March 24, 2019 10:35 pm  #2

Re: Energy 95.3 mornings

Without Darrin Laidman? If not him, who? Is Scott Tucker (Tucker In The Morning) available?

March 25, 2019 12:13 am  #3

Storm wrote:

Without Darrin Laidman? If not him, who? Is Scott Tucker (Tucker In The Morning) available?

Ding!

March 25, 2019 7:05 am  #4

Actually, I kinda liked the Joey & Sam morning combo, (for top 40) but oh well...

Last edited by Radiowiz (March 25, 2019 9:06 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 25, 2019 5:49 pm  #5

Oh fuck! Really! Did they really get the job? I do see they are both teasing on Twitter.

The girls at work would turn on Virgin after I left for the day, so the next morning, I would walk in and hear Tucker. I couldn't stand it. And Maura's just there to laugh, because every single thing Tucker says is hilarious to her. Annoying. His voice is irritating.

Don't care, as I'm not a fan of that music. But as a Hamiltonian, they better be doing the show from the station, and not beaming in from Toronto.

Last edited by Brad (March 25, 2019 5:50 pm)

March 26, 2019 8:30 am  #6

Official announcement is on the Global website:

Energy 95.3 returns, bringing pop radio back to the GTA and Hamilton

There's one sort of strange twist for a music station - they're packaging a "best of the morning show" reroll for 6 PM. Not sure if I've heard of a pop station trying that before. 

March 26, 2019 8:31 am  #7

Energy 95.3 it is! "Today's best music".
They kept Coleen and gave her afternoon drive... http://energy953radio.ca/show/colleen-rusholme/

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 26, 2019 11:53 am  #8

I really was disappointed in the music shift to be honest...   It's a very minor tweak, and they missed an opportunity to carve their own hole between the mess of POP stations in the GTHA.     It sounds like a shift from HOT AC to a Adult CHR (minor change).  The hype didn't live up to the change to be honest.

I expected them to go more Rhythmic leaning or straight on Rhythmic CHR to fit their way into the noise between Flow and Virgin/Kiss, especially going after Toronto.     Good decision on the morning show though...   Can't argue the ratings Tucker had over at Virgin...   

Last edited by radiokid (March 26, 2019 11:54 am)

March 26, 2019 12:37 pm  #9

Same feeling here radiokid, Energy 95.3 is just another pop station in the GTA market, I didn’t see any music difference from the Fresh Radio playlist, it’s still hot AC, just a subtle name change. I thought Corus would add more 90s dance music or EDM tracks to Energy 95.3, but surely they don’t.

If people try to look for a crossover between Flow and Kiss/Virgin, or rhythmic CHR, that would most arguably be Z103.5. It literally has all types of music, hip hop, waybacks, euro, latin, EDM and other unique types of hit music. I would say that their afternoon playlist is the most diverse, as yesterday I’ve heard 3 consecutive hip hop tracks near 5:00. Still hoping that they would get the CRTC approval for technical change though...

March 26, 2019 1:29 pm  #10

Adrian106072 wrote:

If people try to look for a crossover between Flow and Kiss/Virgin, or rhythmic CHR, that would most arguably be Z103.5. It literally has all types of music, hip hop, waybacks, euro, latin, EDM and other unique types of hit music. I would say that their afternoon playlist is the most diverse, as yesterday I’ve heard 3 consecutive hip hop tracks near 5:00. Still hoping that they would get the CRTC approval for technical change though...

I completely agree.  Energy, Virgin, CHUM, this is like walking into Subway to buy lunch...its everywhere, sounds and smells the same and stale like the lettuce.   

March 26, 2019 1:54 pm  #11

Gotta love the marketing...

Last edited by Nate (March 26, 2019 1:54 pm)

March 26, 2019 4:02 pm  #12

Adrian106072 wrote:

I would argue Z1035 is too into their euro sounds, combined with dated delivery on air.   Z1035 is also Rhythmic leaning and not full on Rhythmic CHR, as they still play a lot of POP/Rock type artists at times. 

I've heard some good ones in the US, that I think could work well here.    I just think they could have wedged themselves in doing a different feel, on a signal that comes into Toronto clearly.     

March 26, 2019 7:36 pm  #13

Can Energy even compete in Toronto? You're up against Chum-FM and CHFI...plus a few other hit radio type stations...

I have my doubts...

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

March 27, 2019 1:11 am  #14

I enjoyed listening to the two of them on Virgin radio, so I will be finding Energy 95.3 on my dial...

They have real chemistry, don't take themselves too seriously, and one of the things I like the most about Tucker and Maura is that they don't have the forced jolly cheeriness that some music radio morning show personalities can fall into on occasion.*

Congrats to Tucker and Maura on the new gig.

* " How to spontaneously break into laughter on cue several times an hour. "

Last edited by betaylored (March 27, 2019 1:23 am)

March 27, 2019 8:17 am  #15

=12pxMuffaraw Joe says : Can Energy even compete in Toronto? You're up against Chum-FM and CHFI...plus a few other hit radio type stations...=12pxI have my doubts...

Corus tried to make 95.3 a presence in Toronto several times before and it didn't work... so why not try it again?  I doubt it will work but maybe the talent is a big draw? Unlikely.

March 27, 2019 8:59 am  #16

It will be interesting to see how the morning show develops. At Virgin there was also Robyn and Wilson and there were ongoing features. However, there is no doubt that Tucker and Maura will be a draw. A lot of listeners were unhappy when they disappeared from Virgin and, whether it is coincidence or not, the number of listeners tuned to Virgin 99.9 dropped significantly during the last rating period.

However, is an "Energy" the station is a disappointment. It is not a true chr and, although Energy 95-3 was a mainstream chr at the end of it's time, "Energy" is really associated with the high energy rhythmic/dance format which attracted a large listening audience. So far this week, Energy 95-3 sounds much like CHFI - another boring down tempo a/c music station. CHUM-FM is more chr than Energy 95-3. 

May 12, 2019 1:57 am  #17

Was just browsing K-Lite's website and saw this at the bottom of the "shows" page. Looks like Darrin Laidman is doing weekends for the station now. Considering it's Bell, he could be doing a few stations for all I know.

Last edited by Brad (May 12, 2019 1:59 am)