sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 20, 2019 7:47 pm  #1

Whatever Happened To The Fan 590's Howard Berger?

A chance mention on CFRB Tuesday night led me to the very surprising answer to the question "whatever happened to the Fan's Howard Berger?" He spent more than two decades covering hockey on 590, before he disappeared.

So where is he now? 

You may not believe what he describes on his Linked-In page as his "second career." He's an assistant to a funeral director for one of Toronto's largest Jewish funeral homes, although he claims he still keeps his hands in the sports field every now and then.

Obviously, I'm late to this info, because there was a feature article on this in the Toronto Star last June. Not trying to make fun of him, because it's a very legitimate and necessary job. But what a shift in what you do for a living!

Although, in this case, sadly, it's not always about the living.   

(Note: The linked pages above are only available if you're signed into Linked-In. If you want to see the Star story and haven't used up your very limited free previews of that paper, you can find the original here.) 

March 20, 2019 8:53 pm  #2

Re: Whatever Happened To The Fan 590's Howard Berger?

Why was he mentioned on CFRB ??

March 20, 2019 8:57 pm  #3

Did not know that...

The very first guy who 47 years ago paid any attention to me at all regards broadcasting - a radio station PD -- now owns & operates a funeral home in Comox B.C.

A genuine swerve in career choice for sure... 

March 20, 2019 9:11 pm  #4

I had Howard Berger over for a 2.5 hour convo in 2017 if anyone's curious. 

March 20, 2019 9:15 pm  #5

cash wrote:

Why was he mentioned on CFRB ??

Apparently, he was going to be a guest on Barb DiGiulio's Nightside show.

March 21, 2019 3:25 pm  #6

Howard's a great guy and a fabulous sports historian.  I worked with him at THE FAN 590 for many year (I was Executive Producer at,Telemedia Network Radio, both operating from different floors at 40 Holly Street).  Howard's depth of knowledge, particular hockey was amazing.  He and Barb also worked together at The Fan, so there's that connection.

March 21, 2019 9:12 pm  #7

I seem to recall hearing that former CHNO Sudbury morning man Rick Malo also moved on to a funeral home position.  maybe it's something about radio people inherently invested in public empathy?

March 22, 2019 8:14 am  #8

Likely a lot of "life skills" Howard learned in sports radio are useful in his new line of work.  Years of consoling "Leafs Fans" must come in handy when he consoles grieving families.

Just sayin'