sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 7, 2019 9:44 am  #1

Survey Confirms Conventional Radio Still Rules In The Car

It shouldn't surprise anyone that the latest research indicates radio still rules with drivers, despite the encroachment of podcasts and personal music collections.

From Radio Ink:

Radio Crushes All Other Audio In The Car

March 7, 2019 4:37 pm  #2

Re: Survey Confirms Conventional Radio Still Rules In The Car

The story at Radio Ink says, in part:

>> The biggest loser in the bunch was, predictably, CD players, dropping from 52% in 2017 to 43% in 2019. <<

One of the reasons might be automakers (read: *most* automakers) aren't including CD players in their products
in the last couple of years.

March 7, 2019 6:05 pm  #3

I understand sirius trailing the pack.  Why would anyone pay to hear the same programming, basically, repeat itself every 18 hours?  I hear what Mike is saying.  Still.  The fact that "owned digital music" and a 'c.d.' player [which also features owned music] combined beat all radio combined says it all.  The majority of folks traveling from point A to point B are NOT happy.  A really good radio station, or stations, improves the quality of life.  Bad ones provide the exact opposite.  There are way too many bad ones.  Radio used to know that 1/2 of their combined total hours tuned came from people driving/riding in cars/vehicles.  According to these stats less than 1/3 of the folks 'bustin' a move' are tuned into traditional radio.  Hello advertisers...

Last edited by Lee Marshall (March 7, 2019 6:06 pm)

March 8, 2019 12:49 am  #4

Quoting RIAA, according to the most recent BD (today), "Streaming accounted for 75 per cent of all revenue, the first time it’s passed the halfway mark. Paid subscriptions remained the biggest driver of increased revenue for the American music industry at $4.7 billion, up 33 per cent over 2017. The report also notes that combined, Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon Music and TIDAL, among other streaming services, reached 50 million U.S. subscribers. Revenue from ad-supported streaming services like YouTube and Vevo, grew 15 per cent to $760 million. The digital download medium continued to decline, with permanent downloads dropping 25 per cent to $500 million. Recorded music revenue rose 12 per cent to $9.8 billion. For the first time since 1986, CD sales brought in less than a billion dollars, falling 34 per cent to $698 million. Vinyl sales on the other hand, jumped eight per cent to $419 million, their highest volume since 1988."

this echos the most recent CRTC monitoring report.  nobody is "buying" singles or albums any more as MP3s to shuffle or create mix CDs.  rather they prefer to rent it via streaming, or on demand services like youtube.  i'm not sure whether its portability or handheld device storage that has reduced downloads, but for sure, i haven't listened to a single CD in years, unless it was to rip into my MP3 archive.  but i'm old and my music isn't at the top of streaming playlists. 

companies still complaining about the decline in "traditional cd buying audience" are now two generations behind the game. hell, vinyl sales are catching up to the total cd market now!  go figure.

however... in car tuning makes sense.  commuters still want local news, info,, and traffic on the way to and from work.  often music format is secondary if there is limited choice in local signals.  and as Chuck99 pointed out, the high cost of data by telcos (who conveniently also own much of the radio landscape) is prohibitive.