sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum


You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 3, 2016 4:57 pm  #1


CFRB's "Greed" show

   On CFRB's "The Greed Show" (AKA "The Money Show") this morning, Ian Grant (presumably the same moderator of this excellent forum) called the new 54% marginal income tax rate "criminal."  (A few weeks ago, Ian called the Wynne Liberals "thieves," which is an equally stupid cheap shot.  Perhaps he has proof that the Grits are pocketing all the extra money we're paying for hydro these days.  I agree the rates are nuts but the Tories screwed up hydro just as badly. But I digress.)  Perhaps Ian missed the fact that the Trudeau Liberals promised this tax change for those making over 200K during the election and more than enough voters agreed.  As one of the middle class who is getting a federal income tax cut, I'm very happy.  In the words of Oliver Wendell Holmes, "Taxes are the price we pay for a civilized society."

 

January 3, 2016 5:24 pm  #2


Re: CFRB's "Greed" show

Thanks for listening.  We both have our opinions, and it looks like we each think the other is wrong.


Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.
 
 

January 3, 2016 5:53 pm  #3


Re: CFRB's "Greed" show

Not to be a stickler or anything, but using the spelling "Ian" for Iain is kind of like using the spelling "deter" for "dieter". 

 

January 3, 2016 6:19 pm  #4


Re: CFRB's "Greed" show

I usually just spell it Ian if I'm on the phone or whatever.  It's a lot easier in the long run .  The extra eye makes up for the ones I have trouble using

Lorne wrote:

Not to be a stickler or anything, but using the spelling "Ian" for Iain is kind of like using the spelling "deter" for "dieter". 

 


Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.
 
 

January 3, 2016 9:39 pm  #5


Re: CFRB's "Greed" show

Politics?  Religion?  Oops!!!!!!!  Baby How'd We Ever Get This Way?  Mr. Kim?

OK...

J. Trudeau?  Yes.  D. McGuinty and K. Wynne?  Not a snowball's chance on ANY given day...ever.  [and I carry a real live, bought and paid for and oft renewed, RED card.]

As for Stephen Harper...or as that Gee Dubbya Bush guy called him back in the day...Steve Martin?  'He' was the absolute *W O R S T* prime minister [or as he preferred it...president] this country has ever endured.  'Thanks' for leaving us with the mini dollar.  Good riddance.  What a singular and simple-minded blowhard!  Thank 'gawd' he's gone.

Which brings us to religion.  Religion?  NO thank you.  Really.

 

January 3, 2016 11:24 pm  #6


Re: CFRB's "Greed" show

The only money commentator I trust is Jack Berkovits.

 

January 4, 2016 12:02 am  #7


Re: CFRB's "Greed" show

grilled.cheese wrote:

The only money commentator I trust is Jack Berkovits.

Well, he does know how to save money on radio jingles.
 

 

January 4, 2016 12:55 am  #8


Re: CFRB's "Greed" show

verger wrote:

grilled.cheese wrote:

The only money commentator I trust is Jack Berkovits.

Well, he does know how to save money on radio jingles.
 

blah blah blah blah blah  DOT COM !!!

 

January 4, 2016 12:47 pm  #9


Re: CFRB's "Greed" show

According to chit/chat between Jerry Agar & Mike Bullard a few minutes ago, Canadian Club Whiskey is produced by Seagram (actually Hiram Walker-Gooderham & Worts) and Canadian Pacific Railway is run by Gerry Schwartz (actually Hunter Harrison)

Where is Steve Kowch when the industry needs him?
 

 

January 4, 2016 12:58 pm  #10


Re: CFRB's "Greed" show

And what I learned listening to talk radio?  [and I learned it a LONG freaking time ago...]  DON'T listen to it.  The only thing dumber than the hosts is the audience.

 

January 4, 2016 1:17 pm  #11


Re: CFRB's "Greed" show

By avoiding it you're missing the fun of "playing" the radio    

"Catch the errors" is a fascinating combination of Trivia Pursuit + Jeopardy! (w/o Alex Trebek)

 

January 4, 2016 3:14 pm  #12


Re: CFRB's "Greed" show

We used to pretend to get mad, make shit up, or blatantly lie just to get the phones ringing or to get some vitriol flowing via email or online...we'd make up our own NHL trade rumours and get 'expert' guests to comment on it, or simply attribute our own political opinions to the Minister of Global Warfare in Egomangistan and let the good listeners fight it out...all while we laughed and laughed at the poor fools or we asked a few ringers to call in with their planted opinions/jokes/analysis....CFRB and 640 are doing it especially well nowadays as their listenership gets whiter and older and 'curmudgeoner'.

Last edited by Johnny B (January 4, 2016 3:16 pm)

 

January 4, 2016 5:38 pm  #13


Re: CFRB's "Greed" show

Johnny B wrote:

we asked a few ringers to call in with their planted opinions/jokes/analysis....CFRB and 640 are doing it especially well nowadays

S-a-a-a-y are you referring to the "caller" who tells Stafford that his life has been turned around now that he has HD radio in Niagara?
 

 

January 4, 2016 11:57 pm  #14


Re: CFRB's "Greed" show

As the late great talk show host Bill Matheson used to say: Talk radio is about dogshit and bus schedules.

 

January 8, 2016 6:39 pm  #15


Re: CFRB's "Greed" show

dieter wrote:

   On CFRB's "The Greed Show" (AKA "The Money Show") this morning, Ian Grant (presumably the same moderator of this excellent forum) called the new 54% marginal income tax rate "criminal."  (A few weeks ago, Ian called the Wynne Liberals "thieves," which is an equally stupid cheap shot.  Perhaps he has proof that the Grits are pocketing all the extra money we're paying for hydro these days.  I agree the rates are nuts but the Tories screwed up hydro just as badly. But I digress.)  Perhaps Ian missed the fact that the Trudeau Liberals promised this tax change for those making over 200K during the election and more than enough voters agreed.  As one of the middle class who is getting a federal income tax cut, I'm very happy.  In the words of Oliver Wendell Holmes, "Taxes are the price we pay for a civilized society."

It is what it is - a paid infomercial. Statements like that play well to their target market and I guess, in that context, there is nothing wrong with that.

I just wish RB was a little more forthright in presenting the show - and others it airs in the same vein  - for what it is. They seem to go out of their way in making them appear to be regular programming. Kudos to AM640 for being a little more transparent in this regard.