sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 4, 2019 3:30 pm  #1

25 years ago...we lost a Canadian Legend...

I can remember it clearly, it was a dull cloudy March day, I was out and about seeing clients (in the promo biz) back then, and I was driving back to the office, and was stopped at the light at the 404 and HWY 7, when I heard that John Candy passed away...

Here is a little more foreground on John...and why actor and fellow Canadian Ryan Reynolds wants the next generation to know about John Candy...

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2019/03/04/ryan-reynolds-john-candy_a_23683769/

He did us all proud and was very funny...I wonder if he's blowing anyone up in heaven...real good too I hope...

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

March 4, 2019 3:34 pm  #2

Re: 25 years ago...we lost a Canadian Legend...

I was out to a Stoney Creek bar called Carerra's, at the time, and I was playing NTN (or whatever that trivia thingy was.).  That's when I saw the news on one of the bar televisions.  I can't believe it's 25 years ago.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

March 4, 2019 3:49 pm  #3

25 years and he does not have a star in Hollywood. Doug Thompson has been trying to no avail to get this rectified.

March 4, 2019 8:36 pm  #4

FanOfPromos wrote:

25 years and he does not have a star in Hollywood. Doug Thompson has been trying to no avail to get this rectified.

I thought people mostly bought their way into getting stars?

March 4, 2019 10:37 pm  #5

These days, it costs $40,000. U.S. to pay for a star. Part of that money goes for the maintenance and upkeep (remember how many times Trumps' star has been vandalized).  Usually movie studios pay the star's fee to promote a film or DVD release.  John's been gone for 25 years and frankly should have had a star while he was alive.  Local DJ's and news people have stars.  John does have a star on Canada's Walk of Fame here in Toronto, but that happened 4 years after he passed

Last edited by Doug Thompson (March 4, 2019 10:37 pm)

March 4, 2019 10:53 pm  #6

Doug Thompson wrote:

These days, it costs $40,000. U.S. to pay for a star. Part of that money goes for the maintenance and upkeep (remember how many times Trumps' star has been vandalized).  Usually movie studios pay the star's fee to promote a film or DVD release.  John's been gone for 25 years and frankly should have had a star while he was alive.  Local DJ's and news people have stars.  John does have a star on Canada's Walk of Fame here in Toronto, but that happened 4 years after he passed

totally agree Candy deserves hollywood recognition and belongs there, for what such an honour is worth.  so the buy in is 40 grand.  is it comparable to get on Canada's walk of fame... the expense? 

the cynic in me asks whether being associated with people in hollywood who can afford to be recognized vs deserving people is worth it though... i guess that's showbiz (does trump belong alongside the adored stars of yesteryear?) . i would posit honours like a posthumous order of Canada, or a Canadian screen awards category in his name would be a greater reflection of his legacy.

March 4, 2019 11:00 pm  #7

RA, please make this a new post if interesting....

THE CANADIAN CONSPIRACY (1985) is still on youtube.  what a classic.  this version includes promos from City's "More Great Movies".

"Lorne Green = Green Card, coincidence?"