sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 8, 2016 8:58 am  #1

Mike Cooper retiring

http://m.chfi.com/2016/01/08/thank-you-mike/

After a decade of delighting Torontonians with his wit, wisdom and charm, Mike Cooper will sign off as co-host of 98.1 CHFI’s Erin and Mike in the Morning on January 29, 2016. A veteran radio personality and a leader in Toronto broadcasting, Cooper will continue to host Coop’s Classics Saturday evenings on CHFI.

“I’ve taken care of millions of people over the years and now it’s time to take care of one – my beloved wife and childhood sweetheart Debbie,” said Cooper. “It’s been an honour to be a part of the Rogers family at CHFI working alongside my dear friend Erin Davis for the past 10 years.”

Please leave your best wishes for Mike in the comments section OR leave a voicemail message with your favourite Cooper memory at 416-413-4111!

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

January 8, 2016 8:58 am  #2

Re: Mike Cooper retiring

Great great guy.

January 8, 2016 10:00 am  #3

Coop.  What a truly nice guy.  All the best.  YOU were the half which really, truly made that show work.  That kind of talent?  Hard to replace.

REALLY effin' hard.

I'll never forget you and Sandy playing me the new Beach Boys release...Cuddle Up and You Need a Mess of Help to Stand Alone on alternate weekends during your days up in North Bay at CKAT FM.

Then we actually worked together for a short while.  T'was VERY cool.  All the best.

[you'll find that you'll miss it.]

January 8, 2016 10:13 am  #4

I second these emotions. I was lucky enough to work with Mike in the 80s and a nicer guy you'd never meet. He's one of those rarities in the industry - a person about whom I've never heard anyone say a bad word. (David Onley was the only other one I can think of that meets those standards.) Here's hoping that great karma comes to roost with him in his retirement. 

From the unfortunate April Fool's joke on CHUM that involved the police to the CNE World Record, he's a done a lot in his time behind - and away from - the mic. And given the way this business is today, 45 years is an amazing run.

Last edited by RadioActive (January 8, 2016 10:17 am)

January 8, 2016 12:31 pm  #5

This is sad. Now he'll just be digital storage for the next 5 years, or until CHFI decides to replace Coop's classics with the new morning voice...
(technically, if he lasts 5 years in digital storage, that'll make his voice a full 50 years in the biz...)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 8, 2016 2:40 pm  #6

Well Radiowiz you opened a can of worms; when you mention Coop's replacement. I'd like to take a guess.  I have no way of knowing; it's just a guess.  I base it only on a blog that Darren B Lamb ex of CHUM-FM wrote; when he said don't worry I won't be too far away.

My prediction?  Erin and Darren in the morning.  Again.  Just speculation.  But I thought I would kick it off. 😄

Who Knows???

Last edited by Bearsville (January 8, 2016 2:42 pm)

January 8, 2016 3:45 pm  #7

When the Toronto Star takes notice of something that happens in local radio, you know it's a big deal.

CHFI radio host Mike Cooper hangs up his earphones

The article references the famous April Fool's joke from 1976. In case you've never heard it, like most things Cooper was involved with, it was well done - if not more than a little unfortunate in retrospect. 

January 8, 2016 3:53 pm  #8

One of the great talents in radio. And as talented as he is, he is an even better guy.  Working with him at CKEY was a career highlight for me.  Coop, radio is much poorer without you.  Beers?    

January 8, 2016 5:44 pm  #9

Bearsville wrote:

Well Radiowiz you opened a can of worms; when you mention Coop's replacement. I'd like to take a guess.  I have no way of knowing; it's just a guess.  I base it only on a blog that Darren B Lamb ex of CHUM-FM wrote; when he said don't worry I won't be too far away.

My prediction?  Erin and Darren in the morning.  Again.  Just speculation.  But I thought I would kick it off. 😄

Who Knows???

Bank on it. Darren quit CHUM-FM and was shown the door that day, as happens when you're going to a competitor. Also. he would have  likely had a 6 month non-compete -- and CHFI says they'll have the new co-host in a month. Perfect timing.

January 8, 2016 6:44 pm  #10

BT Did a nice tribute bit for him this morning live from the control room.  Nicely done.  http://www.680news.com/2016/01/08/video-chfis-mike-cooper-signs-off-after-45-years/?show_id=1738

I think it's great that Mike can hear and read how much other people liked and respected him.  This happens too often to people who should have heard it the day before it takes place.

January 8, 2016 10:57 pm  #11

I worked with Mike back in 1977-78  in Montreal. I first "met" Mike at the CNE when he was riding the ferris wheel. We didn't know each other at all but we very briefly made eye contact as he was heading skyward for the millionth time. I must say at that moment at least he looked miserable! 
Who knew we'd be workmates just a few years later.  I always thought Mike was a great talent. Well done Mike and congrats !! 

Last edited by unclefester (January 9, 2016 9:37 am)

January 9, 2016 3:18 pm  #12

I had the pleasure of working with Coop at CHAM. One of the highlights of my career. A true pro and an ever greater person.

January 9, 2016 6:15 pm  #13

Although I never worked with him, I met Mike Cooper on a couple occasions when visiting stations he was at that were under the same corporate umbrella as where I was at the time. Very much the same in person as on air - the sign of a true pro in my book. Gotta say the fact that he's retiring makes me and probably a lot of others feel a bit older.

January 10, 2016 6:09 pm  #14

I'd just like to add that Coop was one of the nicest and beloved by all staff that I have ever worked with. 
Always positive.  Always up and smiling.

Whenever you met him anywhere and asked how he was, you got the same response.  "Ball of fire man, ball of fire."

Enjoy the fishing Coop.  I know it's one of your favorite pastimes.