sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 17, 2019 9:55 pm  #1

1st Blue Jays Pre-Season Game On Fan 590 Airs Feb. 23rd

There is something somewhat surreal about shovelling your driveway out from a ton of snow while listening to the Boys of Summer play baseball. But with the possibility of yet more storms coming next weekend, that may be exactly what some of us will be doing, as the very first Blue Jays spring training game airs on the Fan. 

The 1 PM Feb. 23rd match features the Jays playing the Tigers in what could be start of a very long and dismal season for the rebuilding T.O. team. 

Worth noting that some of the weekday contests will only air on the Sportsnet.ca website and not on the radio at all. You don't have to be a baseball fan to welcome this, though. That first pitch means we're getting closer to spring. And after the February we're having, it can't come soon enough.  

You can see the entire spring training TV and radio sked here.

February 17, 2019 10:18 pm  #2

Re: 1st Blue Jays Pre-Season Game On Fan 590 Airs Feb. 23rd

I so agree RA! Baseball in February gives you hope that spring is around the corner...
The season home opener is on March 28th, if you can believe!

Bring on Buck and Pat! 

Let's go Blue Jays!

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

February 23, 2019 8:19 pm  #3

While many of the pre-season games will be on the radio, it appears Rogers is cheaping out when it comes to showing a lot of them on its Sportsnet TV cable outlet. 

From the Toronto Sun:

"The network will produce only two games from Florida and show eight others, picking up the feed from the other teams’ broadcasts in those cases. For example, Monday afternoon’s game against the New York Yankees will be the first to air from this pre-season. But instead of Buck Martinez and and Pat Tabler, you’ll hear the voices of the Bronx Bomber broadcasters on the YES network."

Rogers cuts the cord on number of Blue Jays spring training broadcasts

February 23, 2019 9:42 pm  #4

I try to listen to the Jays games on 1310News in Ottawa. So, I phoned Friday to see if they would carry Saturday's game.  They didn't know!!!  I was told they didn't have a memo regarding this and the GM was not available.  This follows a dismal season of broadcasts last season where on a half dozen games there were 
"technical issues."
1310News also carried the ESPN Sunday night games, however, they are never promoted on-air or on their website.  And on a few occasions last year, there were "technical issues."  When I phoned on the following day (Monday) nobody could answer the question.  I even spoke with someone who argued with me that 1310News does not carry those games and that TSN1200 does.  
I am lucky to have the option to bring in TSN690 from Montreal that also carries the Sunday night ESPN games.
I always thought Rogers was in the communication business.  That word apparently hasn't made it from Toronto to Ottawa.

February 23, 2019 10:12 pm  #5

I have zero interest in pre-season baseball. There are 162 regular season games which are way too many.