sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 20, 2019 12:16 pm  #1

CBS Goes To Extremes When It Comes To "Schitt's Creek" Interview

Dan Levy, one of the stars of CBC's "Schitt's Creek" was on CBS' Colbert Tuesday night and a very bizarre thing happened on the way to promoting it on that network. Every time either the host or the guest said the title, a lower third banner would pop up to indicate to the U.S. audience (it airs on a cable station down there) that they weren't saying a swear word. 

It continued endlessly through the entire nearly 7 minutes of the interview. 

I thought standards in late night were more relaxed and given what's on cable these days, it wouldn't be a big deal. (Although I admit I wondered about promo problems when it first premiered five years ago.) Apparently, for the sensitive ears of CBS viewers, it still is.

Dan Levy Can’t Say ‘Schitt’s Creek’ on CBS

February 20, 2019 12:45 pm  #2

Re: CBS Goes To Extremes When It Comes To "Schitt's Creek" Interview

it's baffling to me that a country like america... possibly the most vulgar nation in the world at the moment.... can at the same time be so prudish.

February 20, 2019 2:36 pm  #3

splunge wrote:

it's baffling to me that a country like america... possibly the most vulgar nation in the world at the moment.... can at the same time be so prudish.

I couldn't agree more. A history of (largely unsuccessful) regime-change wars around the world; one-after-another extremely violent programs on TV; the glorification of guns at every turn; mass shootings on an almost daily basis; an administration that 'may' be conspiring with the Russians; I'm sure many of you can add to the list......but god forbid the word Schitt be spoken on the air.

Those whom the gods would destroy, they first drive mad.

P.S. I'm fortunate that my great-great-yada-yada-grandfather was killed for his loyalty to the Crown in NY State in  1777, causing my great-great-yada-yada-grandmother and her seven children to flee to the safety of Hamilton Ontario...the best damn country in the World. We've never looked back since.

February 20, 2019 2:52 pm  #4

Dial Twister wrote:

splunge wrote:

I couldn't agree more. A history of (largely unsuccessful) regime-change wars around the world; one-after-another extremely violent programs on TV; the glorification of guns at every turn; mass shootings on an almost daily basis; an administration that 'may' be conspiring with the Russians; I'm sure many of you can add to the list......but god forbid the word Schitt be spoken on the air.

Those whom the gods would destroy, they first drive mad.

P.S. I'm fortunate that my great-great-yada-yada-grandfather was killed for his loyalty to the Crown in NY State in  1777, causing my great-great-yada-yada-grandmother and her seven children to flee to the safety of Hamilton Ontario...the best damn country in the World. We've never looked back since.

"@ Dial Twister .... best damn country in the world" to be sure and props to your yada yada history. 

in terms of broadcast content, i think Canada is equally prudish with both visual and spoken word content vs the UK and Europe.  i find it interesting though that Canada chooses to be that way, whereas america has it forced upon them.

February 20, 2019 4:49 pm  #5

I remember the old City TV Baby Blue Movie would certainly live up to its name with its language, but that was on after midnight. I think the rules are much looser in Canada and if you look at a CBSC list of common complaints, many of them deal with swearing during so-called family time. Apparently a lot of these not-so-bon mots are kosher on broadcast TV after about 10 PM or so. 

As for the U.S., those standards loosened up with the coming of Steven Bochco's "NYPD Blue," which debuted on ABC in 1993. The first episode contained words like "bitch," "asshole," and more, not to mention some mild nudity. It was considered so controversial at the time that some affiliates refused to air it.

Tellingly, when it became a huge ratings hit, those concerns magically went away and it was cleared in just about every market. Incredibly, this was just three short years after CBS came under huge fire from critics when a little kid used the words "that sucks" in the short-lived "Uncle Buck," the first TV adaptation of the John Candy movie. 

My how times have changed. (Yet they seem to have retreated a bit on those standards after "Blue's" progress.) 

Really, I think it was "All In The Family" that really broke the language logjam, although in a much tamer way. Most TV pundits agree there's a sharp dividing line in U.S. television that measures pre-Archie Bunker and what came after him.

And then there's the made for TV edit, most famously demonstrated by the line below.

Last edited by RadioActive (February 20, 2019 5:21 pm)

February 20, 2019 6:27 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

Dan Levy, one of the stars of CBC's "Schitt's Creek" was on CBS' Colbert Tuesday night and a very bizarre thing happened on the way to promoting it on that network. Every time either the host or the guest said the title, a lower third banner would pop up to indicate to the U.S. audience (it airs on a cable station down there) that they weren't saying a swear word. 

It continued endlessly through the entire nearly 7 minutes of the interview. 

I thought standards in late night were more relaxed...

I don't get it? Why be more relaxed when you can deliberately plug a sister station over and over?

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 20, 2019 7:43 pm  #7

It's interesting, because the word "shit" (and not "schitt", or any other variation) actually did air on CBS almost 20 years ago with an episode of Chicago Hope, where Mark Harmon's character responds with the phrase "shit happens", when a superior questions him about an operation that had gone wrong.

"The producers felt strongly that the line was important for artistic truthfulness," CBS said in a statement. "We wanted to support their creative vision, but clearly this is not something that will happen on a weekly basis."

https://www.eonline.com/news/38847/chicago-hope-in-deep-s-t

Also, I remember a 2002 documentary (also on CBS) titled "9/11", hosted by Robert De Niro which captured the events of September 11, 2001 through the lenses of two French filmmakers that happened to be in Manhattan that day. De Niro warned the audience beforehand that the language contained in the special was particularly harsh and sure enough, the word "shit" was uttered at least twice, and "fucking" at least once. The producers and the network had agreed not to bleep out the 'offending' words as they felt it was important to portray the day's events as they unfolded.

So, clearly these words can be used on regular broadcast TV. I wonder what made the U.S. networks regress back to a more puritan time (language-wise at least)? I find it kind of amusing because the word "piss" has been used quite freely since about the mid-90s, and "shit" seems to be on the same level as that, one would think. It's an everyday word that's used so often that it's lost some of its evilness (IMO...)

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

February 20, 2019 8:17 pm  #8

This thread has devolved into something George Carlin might have enjoyed! Still, those seven words you can't say on TV are now down to about three or four! 

Mr. Jeffries is correct - the formerly taboo "pissed off" is so commonplace these days, you hear it on radio talk shows, in newspaper quotes and on TV shows. "Fart" is another four-letter word you would never have heard on broadcast media or in print a number of years ago. For some reason, it has now become commonplace everywhere and seems perfectly accepted. 

The other "F" word will almost always be a huge taboo, while the "S" word seems to be partially tolerated, as long as it isn't uttered until the last hour of primetime on the networks, and is only used sparingly and for a certain effect. And the jury seems to be out on "asshole," although it still gets used from time to time and was one of the big ones on the aforementioned "NYPD Blue."

I'm not exactly sure when this change happened, although it certainly came about with the expanded cable universe and its salty and uncensored language. The funny thing is I've always been told that British viewers couldn't care less about swearing or nudity on their public tellys - it's over-the-top violence that seems to offend them.

Oddly in the U.S., it's generally the exact opposite. And that, to me, speaks volumes. Even if it doesn't use four-letter words to say it. 

February 20, 2019 9:23 pm  #9

Mike Wilmot talks about "the last dirty word" at about 1:50.

Viewer discretion advised!...lol   

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

February 21, 2019 12:25 am  #10

...and what about the time a certain toronto mayor banned a band (from scarborough) because of its name (and not a swear word could be seen or heard)? all was forgiven when the band became a "success".

February 22, 2019 1:17 am  #12

Just when I thought this thread was done comes this. I don't know what's going on with CBS and Colbert, but during Thursday night's monologue, the late night host was doing a bit about the Jussie Smollett scandal. At one point, he came out with another formerly taboo TV word, noting the Empire actor was 'a dick.'

But what was really bizarre is that the closed captioning that accompanied the bit read 'he's a (bleep.)' So you can say it but you can't read it? How is that fair to the deaf or hard of hearing?

CBS likely hires out a company to do the CC, but what a strange set of rules the network operates by.