sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 5, 2016 8:07 pm  #1

Canada's New TV Rules Will Cost 15,000 Jobs, Erode Canadian Content

[Via HuffPost]

A group of unions and guilds involved in Canada’s media industry are pressuring the federal Liberal government to undo changes to TV rules announced under the previous Harper government.

Starting this year, Canadians will be able to pick and choose the cable or satellite TV channels they buy, a move many consumers' advocates applauded. But a new study commissioned by those media groups argues those and other changes will harm the economy.

Specialty channels are at risk of disappearing and Canadian content will suffer under the new pick-and-pay rules, according to the report issued Tuesday.

It says the changes to TV regulations will cause more than 15,000 direct and indirect job losses by 2020, and will reduce Canada’s economic output by $1.4 billion by that time.

"For good reason the new government has abandoned Stephen Harper's policy of denigrating the CBC. It should take the same approach to the CRTC's [TV] decisions,” said Ian Morrison, spokesperson for Friends of Canadian Broadcasting, in a statement.

More...

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

January 5, 2016 8:52 pm  #2

Re: Canada's New TV Rules Will Cost 15,000 Jobs, Erode Canadian Content

So it goes.  Compete or be depleted or deleted.  I'm tired of paying for 1/2 assed content...I don't care where it originates from.  If 'we're' not competitive then fold up your tents...go away...learn your craft...come back and try again.  Otherwise?  Go piss up a rope.  'Cause YOU suck.

That was the whole problem with Can Con on the radio.  30%?  We didn't have enough partially decent stuff to answer THAT call.  SO?  Crap was added instead.  It made our product a laughing stock south of the border.  It took years to overcome the stigma.  I'm not sure that we have even yet.  35%?  What a joke!!!

Can con should have grown in terms of percentages SLOWLY and by miniscule degrees.  We should have upped it from 10% to 12.5% to 15% to 20% to ... well...to 20% and LEFT IT THERE.  It would have raised the bar every inch of the way.  Current levels are unrealistic and *WE* simply can't compete.  We're not 1/3 of the world's talent  To insist on THAT will kill our electronic media.  [not that idiot programmers and dink-eyed managers aren't doing that anyway.]

For real.

Last edited by Old Codger (January 5, 2016 8:53 pm)

January 6, 2016 1:51 am  #3

I thought the title of the thread was going to end with...

"Warp your mind, curve your spine, and lose the war for the allies."

With thinking like this, we'd still have plenty of highly paid, unionized, blacksmiths and buggy-whip manufacturers.

Nobody said jobs wouldn't be lost. If channels are going disappear, it's simply because nobody really wants to watch them.  OC summed it up perfectly.  If they aren't competitive then they should fold up their tents.

January 6, 2016 4:30 am  #4

Old Codger wrote:

Can con should have grown in terms of percentages SLOWLY and by miniscule degrees.  We should have upped it from 10% to 12.5% to 15% to 20% to ... well...to 20% and LEFT IT THERE. 

Actually, it's a little more complexed than that.
The CRTC also maintained a 49% non hit rule on FM for many years, making it difficult for stations close enough to a border to compete.

680 CFTR had to compete with Magic 102 FM out of Buffalo. 
They couldn't go FM all that easily.

The least the CRTC could have done is remove all Can Con for AM stations.
Thankfully, the FM stations were able to count a Canadian hit as a non hit for the first year of it's life...at least!

Today, the 49% non hit rule is long gone, but the 35-40% Can Con rule is still around.
The only thing I like about it is that it forces Canadian radio companies to hire a music director rather than simply toss on an American WKSE playlist (or something like that...)

Last edited by Radiowiz (January 6, 2016 4:32 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 6, 2016 6:30 am  #5

Spineless programmers started upping the stakes to get their license.
The CRTC asked for 30% Cancon, then to look better they offered more and more not considering for a moment the dreck they'd be forced to play. We called it "The Beaver Bin", and if one of those songs comes on today I change the channel immediately. DJ's got overloaded on the dreck and came to loathe it.  We actually had a 20% Cancon quota on CKLW because of the intense competition with Detroit stations for listeners.
That is NOT a level playing field when you considered Cancon + the crippling non-hit ratio, originally 50%. (A rule that destroyed Top 40 radio in Canada)
Weeding through the stiffs to make the non-hit quota sucked!
Programmers should know that the CRTC does respect good arguments.
Instead, the programmers act like scared sheep and do whatever they can to please the powers that be.
When I appeared in front of the commission in the 80's they were quite reasonable and willing to listen.
Has that changed?
The CRTC used to be willing to listen to rational argument.  Has that changed?

Last edited by Mark Elliot (January 6, 2016 6:31 am)

January 6, 2016 7:29 am  #6

"It's All Over Now"

Mick Jagger, Aug '64

January 6, 2016 8:03 am  #7

Personally I liked the 50% NON hit quota.  I loathed hearing the same songs played ad-infinitum BEFORE I got into radio.  CHUM FM...when it rolled away from the classical and went 'free form' was terrific amd compelling and it was for a number of years.  [while Bob and then Duff programmed it] Today's version?  Horrid.  Absolute hog wash.  Crap.

Anyway...the topic is TV where once again Can Con is PART of the reason why people will lose jobs because once again if you can't do it well...people won't watch [or listen].  But that costs money.

The reality?  There are WAY too many TV stations with NOT ENOUGH GOOD PROGRAMMING to go around.  So?

Poo floats.  And purveyors of poo are hired to float it.

Last edited by Old Codger (January 6, 2016 8:04 am)

January 6, 2016 9:13 pm  #8

geo wrote:

"It's All Over Now"

Mick Jagger, Aug '64

Credit should go to writer Bobby Womack and The Valentinos 

but Bobby foregave Mick and co after the royalty checks came in

Last edited by Fitz (January 7, 2016 1:36 am)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

January 7, 2016 9:25 am  #9

Hope Freddy Vette, Johnny Maraca, Robin Lane and Gene Stevens catch your post

Thx for the clarification