sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 11, 2019 10:25 am  #1

FLOW 935 is back

93-5 The Move has officially re-rebrand back to FLOW 935, there is no change on the music genre and line-up.

Personally I think the brand 93-5 The Move is awful, Stingray did at least some effort to bring back the Flow brand.

February 11, 2019 1:16 pm  #2

Re: FLOW 935 is back

Something had to be done. The move was nothing more than an effort to encourage that they have x amount of throwback radio. The return of flow enforces that they are a new music driven Hip Hop station.
There is a fair difference between the two. 
Given the current format, a switch back to Flow just makes sense.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 11, 2019 4:39 pm  #3

Is there really brand equity in The Flow?  Will the community forgive and forget?  Will it live up to the expectation of the brand?

Isn't this the station that represents a long time trying application that was made by the black community to have their own station.  Seems to me it didn't take long for it to be taken over and ruined by the corporate radio players.  I think there is history here that can't be ignored,

I am almost certain the target audience has long moved away from radio.  Unless you are hiring people who actually know and have connection to the hip hop community, you're wasting your time.  This is someone thinking that bringing back a brand will bring back an audience.  Well good luck with that.

February 11, 2019 6:53 pm  #4

From Broadcast Dialogue:

“When we decided to go back to being a hip hop radio station in Nov. 2017, we made an error in not calling it Flow at that time. The truth is that Flow is synonymous with hip hop. It just is. And if you’re playing hip hop on 93.5, it’s got to be called Flow,” program director Josie Fenech told Broadcast Dialogue."

Canada’s first hip hop station returns to its roots

February 11, 2019 8:07 pm  #5

Bobbie Boogie wrote:

I am almost certain the target audience has long moved away from radio.  Unless you are hiring people who actually know and have connection to the hip hop community, you're wasting your time.  This is someone thinking that bringing back a brand will bring back an audience.  Well good luck with that.

They most certainly are and I share your cynicism. This version of the format, though, is pretty mainstream and appealing to the casual fan. I don't know that they need the connection to the hip-hop community for it to work. (though it would be an advantage.) A hit driven hip-hop format can (and does) work when done well.

Their PD mentions that not changing the name when they went back to the current format was a mistake, and that's true, but the bigger mistake was changing the music format and then not telling anyone. Not a cent in marketing from what I could gather. If they market this, it will do *better* than it is now....whether that's enough will be the question.

February 11, 2019 8:08 pm  #6

Chuck99 wrote:

Bobbie Boogie wrote:

It is for precisely that reason that I am waiting for it to become The Breeze 93.5  

They will not risk a tenth of a point from Boom for that. Wrong signal; wrong cluster.