sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 4, 2019 5:55 pm  #1

The latest back and forth wrangling between Save Jazz FM and Jazz FM

I am going to cut and paste what I got in my email box, but the team at Save Jazz FM is not to happy with how the current board at Jazz FM is working...here is latest...back and forth exchanges are going... 

They are not going well and the current board is acting in bad faith...and irresponsibly...

I hope this sheds light on what has become an unfortunate story line in our local radio landscape.

February 4, 2019

Dear Fellow Member:

YOU HAVE JUST RECEIVED AN EMAIL FROM THE STATION. 
THAT EMAIL DEMONSTRATES A NEW LOW FOR THE JAZZ.FM91 BOARD

HERE’S WHAT HAS JUST HAPPENED!

• On January 25, 2019, after receiving support from 220 members, Save JAZZ FM sent the Board a requisition for a General Meeting to remove the Board and replace it with an alternate slate of nominees. 
  • In the requisition letter, we undertook to work constructively with the station to ensure Members can make an informed decision and to protect the integrity of the election results. We specifically proposed that the annual and general meetings be held together. 
  • On January 30, 2019 legal counsel for Save JAZZ.FM91 and legal counsel for JAZZ.FM91 and Charles Cutts had a without prejudice meeting to discuss how and when the General Meeting should be held. This meeting occurred after JAZZ.FM91’s legal counsel informed us that the Board believed that holding both the annual and general meetings on the same date made the most sense.
  • Since the January 30 meeting, there have been no substantive responses to follow up emails from us.

Without any warning or discussion with us, the Board sent a notice of meeting to Members for the general meeting only – i.e. the meeting to determine whether the Save JAZZ.FM91 proposed board would be elected only, not the annual meeting. What changed since last week? Why did the Board reverse course?

It is not in the best interest of the station to:

• hold two separate meetings on different dates
  • spend the station’s funds and other resources organizing and holding two meetings
  • hold the general meeting before the annual meeting when members have still not received up-to-date financial statements of the station
  • prevent members from, before voting, being full informed about the station’s affairs, including its financial condition, and effectively seeking to shield the Board from questions about the same
  • compromise any new Board members elected at the general meeting by making them responsible for financial statements from the old Board’s tenure.

In their letter to Members, David McGown states that Save JAZZ.FM91 is “being funded by someone or some group with deep pockets.” Mr. McGown knows that I have sworn under oath that is not true. He also knows that I told him that immediately after the AGM. He knows it is untrue, and yet, he continues to spread that misinformation. That’s shameful.

This is disrespectful behaviour to all Members. Regretfully it has become the norm for this Board. They continue to act like a Board desperate to hold on to power at all costs. By acting as they have, the Board has forced us to consider initiating litigation to ensure that the meeting proceeds in a fair and efficient manner. 

PLEASE, DO NOT return the proxy form you have just received from the JAZZ.FM91 board.

Save JAZZ.FM will provide you with its blue proxy form for you to sign and return to us.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Brian Hemming

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

February 4, 2019 7:50 pm  #2

Re: The latest back and forth wrangling between Save Jazz FM and Jazz FM

I can't say I am surprised (and I am sure privately Brian Hemming feels likewise given the Board's past record of behavior).  I am looking forward to the conclusion of this.  I've avoided removing JAZZ.FM91 from my car radio (where it now holds the coveted FM1 position).  I stopped donating half a year ago.  Hopefully, SaveJazzFM will prevail but I know, sadly, there is no justice in this world.

Thanks for the update, Joe.

Last edited by Leslieville Bill (February 4, 2019 7:51 pm)

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

February 4, 2019 9:44 pm  #3

When we got into the car Saturday morning, Ross Porter was signing off. Part of what he had to say, paraphrasing, was, "Don't believe everything you hear, don't believe everything you read, everybody has an agenda."
Including Mr. Porter, evidently.

February 5, 2019 9:17 am  #4

mike marshall wrote:

When we got into the car Saturday morning, Ross Porter was signing off. Part of what he had to say, paraphrasing, was, "Don't believe everything you hear, don't believe everything you read, everybody has an agenda."
Including Mr. Porter, evidently.

Can't believe he's still on the air there. 

February 6, 2019 9:52 am  #5

FYImusicnews.ca has the other side of the story, for whatever you think that's worth. (By the way, you gotta love the ridiculous pic they used to illustrate this story.)

Is A Hostile Takeover Looming At Jazz.FM?

February 6, 2019 3:06 pm  #6

I'd love to ask Mr. Broadbent, quoted in the FYImusicnews.ca article, "How could the Board investigation of the accusations by "the Collective" be objective if the Director responsible for running the investigation was one of the people singled out?"

February 6, 2019 4:30 pm  #7

Here is what I got in my email...from the SAVE JAZZFM team...and we are being asked to sign the "blue proxy" vote...to re-energize the board and direction of Jazz FM.

Also, a few power houses associated with Jazz FM in the past have voiced their concerns and are urging people to vote...and change the board.

Here is former morning guy Ralph Benmergui...

https://savejazzfm.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Raph-Benmergui-Save-Jazz-FM.mp3

And also newly retired Terry Mc Elligott too...

https://savejazzfm.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Terry-McElligott.mp3

Below is the email I got from the SAVE JAZZ FM team to have a new leadership...

IT’S TIME FOR CHANGE…
VOTE BLUE PROXY

At last, you have a chance to vote for much-needed
change in the leadership of JAZZ.FM91

• For over eight months, the station has faced a steady deterioration in reputation, audience and donations.
  • The current Board of Directors has made poor decisions, using Band-Aid solutions for problems that demand major correction.
  • Popular on-air hosts – Garvia Bailey, Jaymz Bee, Heather Bambrick, Terry McElligott, Walter Venafro, Mark Wigmore, David Baskin – all gone! Either forced out or resigned because they no longer want to work in a dysfunctional and oppressive workplace.
  • Fundraising, the heart blood of a not-for-profit radio station has been seriously compromised.

[list=1]
  • The Fall fundraising campaign made barely half of the declared target.
  • Jazz Safaris, once a solid revenue generator for the station, have suffered a serious decline in support.
  • Recent live events have often been poorly attended, with staff and volunteers being asked on occasion to fill seats.

• Audience segments that are key to generating advertising revenue are languishing or declining. 

Better revenue = more creative talent = better radio.

The current Board has virtually no radio broadcast experience
    In contrast, our nominees have the right experience[/url] and the [url=http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001wKZaymnJbeht_vIwRlX0NTCw3jFsUT9iNGcIupPbnaVtOzZzLfA2bTF79FgD_Vjbgtu6FA-aADRkEc67QuZ5MA8D0hlL2FLKAvWT6UNl7SNs4kX3E0yHjv9ILbY4hze3eBk3PEBeUqyTDIEKYyBYr-3f6BtDUZfHRkRr86YSEq7kUgHWYOzce5OggfehmRVKVelsj66s-8dYbBEyfGa7VyKgafiNxr_KUQ1Qb-swOMg=&c=c_x9TRwLqXzGO7oGpdCwUzosE-wp4wiUs3zjg7u4HMdhvCn2XrBpFQ==&ch=AxixFdrGLz_ZikE-sUX7zpBi0nXh9661b9LCXiXqZRCOQ3Fyqq29yw==]right plan 

It is time for the Board of Directors to admit it has lost the confidence of Members and allow JAZZ.FM91 to be SAVED.

Listen to some short audio clips about why change is needed:

February 6, 2019 6:14 pm  #8

Here is the latest from JazzFM:

For Immediate Release

February 6, 2019

JAZZ.FM91 Adds Diversity and Depth with Three New Board Appointments

JAZZ.FM91’s Board of Directors is proud to welcome, Professor Ron Westray, Dr. Judy Coldoff and Ellen Swan to the JAZZ.FM91 Board.  These three directors bolster the strength of JAZZ.FM91’s Board in the face of a hostile takeover attempt by Brian Hemming and “Save Jazz FM.”

“Ron’s insight as a jazz musician and professor, Judy’s first-hand insight as a long-time JAZZ.FM91 donor and listener and Ellen’s legal expertise will help us govern our station for the long-term,” said David McGown, JAZZ.FM91 Board Chair.

Professor Ron Westray is a trumpeter, composer and professor. From 1994 to 2005, Ron was a member of the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra, directed by Wynton Marsalis. He is currently the Oscar Peterson Chair in Jazz Performance at York University.

“As an active jazz musician serving on the Board is the ideal way to help guide JAZZ.FM91’s present and past mission in the right direction,” said Ron Westray.  “Let us put the music first.”

Dr. Judy Coldoff has been a JAZZ.FM91 donor and listener for more than two decades.  She is a clinical psychologist, with over 25 years of experience working with individuals, couples, groups and families.

Ellen Swan is a commercial and civil litigator, employment, and commercial lawyer.  She has represented clients before the Court of Appeal for Ontario, the Ontario Superior Court and the Ontario Labour Board. Ellen has also represented clients at pre-trial conferences, conducted mediations, and drafted legal opinions, and motion and litigation pleadings.

JAZZ.FM91 also announced today that Charles Cutts has relinquished his seat on the Board of Directors to make room for the new candidates appointed today.  Biographies of all eleven current members of the JAZZ.FM91 Board of Directors can be found at jazz.fm.

February 6, 2019 6:57 pm  #9

Ya and Ron Westray plays Trombone, not Trumpet...maybe a Jazz Education is needed or whole new board!!!!!!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Westray