sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 30, 2019 6:31 pm  #1

Feds To Spend $7 Million To Tell You How To Spot "Fake News"

The Trudeau Liberals are planning re-education camps - sorry, workshops - telling you how to spot fake news in the coming Canadian federal election. Why does the government proposing to tell me what's true and what isn't make me nervous? 

Be wary of Liberal plan to police 'fake news' during the election

January 30, 2019 6:43 pm  #2

Re: Feds To Spend $7 Million To Tell You How To Spot "Fake News"

CTV has a slightly less partisan take on this story:

Feds unveil plan to tackle fake news, interference in 2019 election

January 30, 2019 9:23 pm  #3

RadioActive wrote:

The Trudeau Liberals are planning re-education camps - sorry, workshops - telling you how to spot fake news in the coming Canadian federal election. Why does the government proposing to tell me what's true and what isn't make me nervous? 

Be wary of Liberal plan to police 'fake news' during the election

how about because someone has to?   is Bell, or Rogers, or Corus standing up for their own credibility? where is the Truth in Journalism campaigns from the owners of media?  or perhaps we should reinstate the licence for Ezra Levant, so we can learn the "real truth"?  er... "balanced media representation".

why aren't you coming out against the government positions on food guides, or international travel bans, or promotion of vaxinations? 

i appreciate the post, but your tinfoil hat commentary is premature at best.

January 30, 2019 9:40 pm  #4

It really isn't about the party that's in charge. I would be against any government having any control or say on what they feel is "fake news." What's to stop them from indicating anything Conservative leader Andrew Scheer says is "fake news?"  Or vice versa if the Tories take power? 

With all the deserved blowback about Ontario News Now, this should alarm anyone who consumes headlines. They're already offering almost $6 million to struggling newspapers. Who decides who gets that money? A specially selected blue ribbon panel will determine who's worthy. This should also make anyone who works in the news business very concerned. 

The major papers in this town are already divided along political lines. I know they're in trouble, but taking money from any government is a terrible precedent. And even if there is absolutely no influence ever exerted in exchange for the big bucks, you'll always be left wondering why something was reported the way it was. It will kill whatever integrity they may have left. 

I agree that "fake news" and foreign interference is a real problem, especially when it comes to elections. But no one will ever convince me that having the wolves "advise" the henhouse about what's real is a good idea.

January 30, 2019 9:43 pm  #5

I've got a spare yellow vest if you want it. The cat pissed on it, but it'll still work.

January 30, 2019 9:44 pm  #6

Chrisphen wrote:

I've got a spare yellow vest if you want it. The cat pissed on it, but it'll still work.

Is that why it's yellow?

January 30, 2019 9:56 pm  #7

newspapers have always been aligned with political parties, going back to before we were a country.  broadcast media is held to a higher standard, since they are using "the public airwaves".  internet and social media is completely another story.

the question still remains, if the gov't doesn't try to educate the populace about what is obviously "fake news" or, more to the point, social media items placed by foreign bodies, then who will?

this is not some concerted effort to deprive opposition parties from getting their message out.  this is about a non-canadian promoting social media articles about trudeau's illegitimate child illegally crossing into michigan to sell opioids to honduran labourors....

the 2016 us election results are an ultimate example of how these made up stories destroyed any semblance of educated thought.  if you really think that $7 million will change the way people educate themselves about key issues then that's kind of sad.

January 30, 2019 10:21 pm  #8

I agree it's a problem and I will admit I'm not entirely sure how to solve it. But leaving it in the hands of any government - I don't care which party - will always alarm me. I guess I'm just a purist that way.

The government has no place in the news media. Period. We've seen how well that works in other countries. I wouldn't want even the perception of influence here. 

I don't think it's fake news to say we'll just have to agree to disagree about how to fix this issue.  

January 30, 2019 10:26 pm  #9

RadioActive wrote:

I don't think it's fake news to say we'll just have to agree to disagree about how to fix this issue.  

Fair enough.  I hear the history channel has an Ancient Aliens marathon on.  no time to continue this debate.

January 30, 2019 10:30 pm  #10

Are they "irregular" Aliens coming across on Roxham Rd.?

January 30, 2019 10:32 pm  #11

yes, but they're "elderly".