sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 30, 2019 2:02 pm  #1

Jim Richards Breaks Down On CFRB Over Friend's Suicide

It isn't the first time that 'RB mid-afternoon host Jim Richards has lost it on air. But it happened again on Wednesday's "Let's Talk Day," as he recounted the suicide of a friend of his brother. 

It would be easy to wonder if some of this was contrived, but anyone listening could hear it was a genuine moment, at the end of which Richards could be heard saying, after a long pause, "I hate doing this! I hate doing this! I hate doing this!" referring not to his job but rather to being overcome by emotion on air. He finally had to throw to traffic just to compose himself.  

(The same thing happened a few years ago when he was speaking about reuniting with an ex-girlfriend.) While I admit I'm not a fan of the guy, I have to say it was certainly a riveting and real moment on radio, the kind you don't hear very often.

I suspect it may turn up on their website at some point. 

January 30, 2019 3:42 pm  #2

Re: Jim Richards Breaks Down On CFRB Over Friend's Suicide

Having worked with Jim at Telemedia and at Standard (pre Astral / pre Bell), Jim is a genuine guy.  He would never have done a contrived bit about something so serious and tragic.  He doesn't get too personal or too emotional on the air that often, so when he does,,it packs a wallop.. 

January 30, 2019 4:22 pm  #3

Mike Stafford broke down too over a friends death...his co-worker (Sales and a Comedy Show) when she passed away and if memory serves me correctly, I think he lost a friend to suicide too.

Also, Don Daynard shared his heart and soul after his son's death too...I think this is a service to others...as radio media types we are not impervious to pain and loss...and when it is shared on air, it packs a punch or wallop (as posted above).

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

January 30, 2019 4:40 pm  #4

Here's the audio from the show:

Jim Richards - Families of Suicide Victims 

February 10, 2019 10:51 pm  #5

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

... and if memory serves me correctly, I think he lost a friend to suicide too. 

I think it was his brother-in-law.

February 10, 2019 11:54 pm  #6

Jim Richards has always worn his heart on his sleeve. He is the real thing and showing emotion on air is the sign of a great broadcaster. Some may think it's a sign oif weakness to cry on air. I disagree. It's a sign of strength to be able to share with your audience your emotions - good, bad, happy or sad.

We all cry when our love life falls apart or someone we care about dies. It's part of the story telling experience that great broadcasters have. What makes it so striking when Jim Richards shed tears on air,when telling a story, is because 99% of the time his Showgram makes us laugh out loud. He is the funniest talk show host on the air today and one of the most human announcers I've ever worked with.

February 11, 2019 2:44 am  #7

kowchmedia wrote:

He is the funniest talk show host on the air today and one of the most human announcers I've ever worked with.

Jimberly and Stafford are two of the best talents in the biz. Glad to see a few people on here finally showing them both some love.