sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 24, 2019 2:15 pm  #1

Trump Throws Another Monkey Wrench Into Network TV Skeds

A few weeks ago, Donald Trump unexpectedly asked for TV time and completely threw the U.S. and Canadian over-the-air networks into disarray. And now, he’s done it again. But this time, it’s not because he’s talking.

It’s because he isn't.

With some help from the Democrats and the endless American government shutdown, Trump has announced he’s cancelled next Tuesday’s State Of The Union address that was supposed to take up most of the 9-11 PM primetime hours that night.

All the American networks (except for the CW) had put aside time to show it, as they do every year. So what do they put on now instead? New shows? Reruns? Something else? Tuesday is an extremely busy night, with a lot of both new and returning shows that generally receive a ton of pre-air promotion.

I’m betting if you have a DVR with a built-in program guide it’s still got the speech scheduled. There’s still time to fix it, but I’m guessing the U.S. networks are scrambling again to try and figure out what to do – and the CTVs, Citys and Globals in this country can’t make any moves until they do. 

And of course, this completely screws up the schedule for whenever he finally DOES deliver his big speech, possibly during the February sweeps next month. In the words of Oliver Hardy to his best pal Stan Laurel, "Here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!" 

If you have shows you regularly record on Tuesday, take a close look at the guide on Monday night and see if there's anything rescheduled that you might miss. Hopefully, they'll be updated by then. 

January 24, 2019 6:32 pm  #2

Re: Trump Throws Another Monkey Wrench Into Network TV Skeds

I watched a number of NBC shows on Tuesday and they ran "preview" promos for some of them, especially the popular "This Is Us," noting they'll be back on Feb. 5th and to tune in "in two weeks." So they've already told viewers there won't be a new episode in seven days.

Who knows how many will get the message that things have changed. New episodes are limited these days and are like gold for the nets, very expensive to make and doled out carefully, with lots of promotion behind them. That's why I will be very surprised if they air new shows next Tuesday. If anything, they'll either be reruns, a 16th round of Dateline or a Trumped up (sorry) special of some kind. 

January 27, 2019 11:11 am  #3

So even though the shutdown is over - at least temporarily - it seems the State of the Union is still off, to be rescheduled at a later date. And it now appears the U.S. networks are responding by airing reruns of various shows that wouldn't normally run on Tuesday.

And for the most part, the Canadian outlets seem to be sticking with their original skeds, and not bothering to try and match their American counterparts. Which likely means you won't find much of anything to watch on over-the-air TV on Tuesday. But you will be able to see the U.S. feed if you turn in during primetime.

One interesting thing to watch - according to the listings I've looked at, Citytv is supposed to show "The Gifted" at the same time as Fox at 9 PM. But while both are reruns, they're supposedly two different episodes. How will sumsub deal with that dilemma? 

January 27, 2019 1:50 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

Citytv is supposed to show "The Gifted" at the same time as Fox at 9 PM. But while both are reruns, they're supposedly two different episodes. How will sumsub deal with that dilemma? 

There should be no simsub in that case, if the cablecos are paying attention.

January 28, 2019 11:10 pm  #5

Just when you thought this couldn't get more confusing, Trump has accepted a Democratic invitation to hold his State Of The Union address on Tuesday, Feb. 5th, a week later than scheduled.

That means not only is this Tuesday a compete write-off for the U.S networks, but the next one is, too. And now Canadian stations that thought they would get new episodes in time for the first week of the February sweeps will have to scramble to fill two hours on that night.

I can't recall anything messing with two countries' TV skeds quite as much as this has.

January 29, 2019 1:18 am  #6

RadioActive wrote:

... I can't recall anything messing with two countries' TV skeds quite as much as this has.

January 29, 2019 9:03 am  #7

You know networks are funny.  They have now had enough time to put things back to normal tonight.  I checked for our usual NCIS at 8 o'clock and it's been blown out.  Trump says he's now talking next Tuesday night.  NCIS gets blown out again.  I wish the networks could just get it together.

January 29, 2019 9:12 pm  #8

The networks have, indeed, been left scrambling again by the change. I saw a promo on Global as recently as Monday night promoting an "all new episode of FBI" next Tuesday. But it's not running on CBS, where Trump will take its place. So I doubt the Canadians will be able to run anything new. And it just keeps going.

So far, my DVR TV guide does not show the change. And neither do a host of online sites that carry TV listings.  

State of the Union Rescheduled — Which Shows Are Preempted?