sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 28, 2019 9:10 pm  #1

How Local Radio Dropped The Ball On The Biggest Storm Of 2019

It may be just me but man, did the big talkers in the GTHA totally miss the boat on Monday on their 7 PM shows. In the midst of the worst snowstorm of the winter, and with people delayed by hours on the road due to the abysmal weather, you might have thought that would be the main topic of conversation, at least for a while.

Nope.

Instead, Alex Pierson led off with her regular commentary then threw to the sponsored Employment Hour on 640. That might be excused – it is a paid for hour of airtime and it would be hard to cancel it. (To be fair, she had meteorologist Ross Hull on after the paid shilling ended.)

And then I tuned to CFRB, where Barb DiGiulio was, for some reason, talking about some kind of cockamamie delivery service that would seem to have no real relevance considering the conditions outside.

Meanwhile, CHML in Hamilton was no better, endlessly pontificating about, well, to be honest, I couldn’t tell what.

And CKTB was doing its regular “Dog Talk,” although I wouldn’t send a dog out on a night like this. At least they talked briefly about how to take care of your pet in these conditions.

None of them did anything special after 8 PM, either, with RB having a filmmaker talking about "laughter yoga," which is just what I want to hear if I'm out driving in that mess.  

If I was stuck in my car in a frustrating and endless traffic jam and was three hours late getting home because of a near blizzard, I might do at least the first hour of my show getting people to call in about what the road conditions are like where they are, how long they’ve been stuck, whether they saw any accidents, how late they are, whether the plows have been out in their area or even how much snow is in their driveways for those lucky enough to have made it home safely. Or even who they were waiting for, if they were home hoping their loved one returns soon.

Not to mention all the cancellations these kinds of events bring.

But this didn’t seem to occur to any of these stations, which basically ignored the weather and went on and on about, well, nothing. Hey, I get it. This is Canada, We get terrible weather here in January. But we don’t often get a storm that combines high winds, huge snowfalls, bitter wind chills and white-outs right in the middle of the afternoon rush hour.

A long time ago, I remember a similar near-blizzard, this one in the morning. I was desperately trying to get my driveway clear enough to get my car out and try to get to my TV station’s newsroom. I was listening through headphones and a pocket radio to Larry Solway, of all people, on what was then called Talk 640. (As mentioned, it was a long time ago.)

As I shoveled my way into a near heart attack and the weather kept getting worse, Solway took calls from those coping with the storm and how the roads were in their area. It was nothing in depth and it would never have won any awards. But it was exactly what I needed to hear at that moment. And I remember it to this day.

I suspect those poor suckers traveling home Monday night in the worst Mother Nature could manage needed it, too. What they got instead was every talk radio station in the GTA letting them down. They all should have known better and done better. They didn't. And I'm betting those trapped in their cars noticed it, too.

January 28, 2019 9:18 pm  #2

Re: How Local Radio Dropped The Ball On The Biggest Storm Of 2019

stay home and watch Pontypool

January 28, 2019 9:23 pm  #3

Hey I admit it - I'm just an old crank. (I think my car still starts with one!) 

But this was an opportunity to make a real impression on a captive car audience that was totally lost. They don't come around that often. 

January 28, 2019 9:26 pm  #4

i agree the opportunity was lost.  at the same time it's funny how so many people are willing to throw stones whenever the media exclaims "snow-meggdon" and nothing happens.  can't win, don't try i guess.

January 29, 2019 1:37 pm  #5

There was a time when radio provided me with a feeling of community. Back then something like yesterday would have been covered for sure. Those days are long gone. I just spent two hours in the car listening to a recording of a Hall and Oates concert in Montreal.from 1983. Now those were the good old days!!

January 29, 2019 2:06 pm  #6

What really bugs me about this is it wouldn't have cost them a dime. They could have asked listeners to be the reporters and gotten out valuable information in real time. 

"I can't get up the hill at Sheppard and Bathurst! It's too slippery."

"There are people backing up on the DVP on-ramp because traffic hasn't moved in two hours!"

"There's at least six accidents on the 401."

Etc. etc. etc. I would have written itself and been a lot better than what they chose to air - and all for free!

January 29, 2019 2:16 pm  #7

grilled.cheese wrote:

Wally Crouter did an excellent job covering the blizzard of '54

"You don't have'ta be a weatherman to know which way the wind is blowin"

robert zimmerman

January 29, 2019 2:28 pm  #8

Kilgore wrote:

grilled.cheese wrote:

robert zimmerman

No, but when you're in local radio during a fierce winter storm, "You Gotta Serve Somebody!"
robert zimmerman

January 29, 2019 4:21 pm  #9

Why didnt you tune into 680 news?  Non stop storm coverage.  

January 29, 2019 4:44 pm  #10

I did tune in and out of 680. But their format is not the same as a longer form talk show, where people can call in and relate how they're doing in their particular part of the city.

Anyway, it's done and hopefully, that was the "big one" for the year. Seems like we always get at least one.  

January 29, 2019 5:14 pm  #11

Kilgore wrote:

grilled.cheese wrote:

robert zimmerman

Also... "Don't follow leaders, watch the parkin' meters"

January 30, 2019 8:53 am  #12

markow202 wrote:

Why didnt you tune into 680 news?  Non stop storm coverage.  

THANK YOU.