sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 21, 2019 4:57 pm  #1

Terry McElligott is stepping away from radio (Jazz FM)

He announced it on Facebook today, that as of February 1st, he will step away from radio and Jazz FM...it has been a tumultuous year at the station and he is choosing to opt out and go onto the next phase of his life with his wife.

He is an avid photographer and even designs websites...if memory serves me correctly...(we met and chatted a few times).

Terry has been at Jazz FM since the early 2000's and was on CHFI, CHUM-FM at various points in his broadcasting career, I would say it is safe to say he is in the 25 year (Plus) group of broadcasters...

Job well done and a good move to resign...good luck Terry...you are easy to listen to!

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

January 21, 2019 5:54 pm  #2

Re: Terry McElligott is stepping away from radio (Jazz FM)

This is all very sad news. 
Radio needs good people like him.
If he were willing to relocate, I would encourage hiring him for one of the Canadian Breeze FM stations.
I bet he still has "Breakfast bunch" in him!! 
I'd mention a certain Toronto (or area) station but I don't want to start any rumours of a format change...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 21, 2019 6:42 pm  #3

When it comes to longevity on Toronto radio Terry is near the top. He joined CFNY during the David Pritchard in 1977 era from CHOM FM.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

January 21, 2019 7:17 pm  #4

Surprised Laura Fernandes of Cafe Latino heard I beleive 3-5pm Saturdays is still there and im glad because its a great show.

January 22, 2019 6:41 pm  #5

Sorry to see Terry didn't feel it was worth sticking around what can't be a happy place. Ya done good, Ter.

Another friendly, familiar voice missing when fundraising rolls around.

January 23, 2019 1:10 pm  #6

He was great!.  Whats going to be left of this station by the end of this year?

January 25, 2019 12:56 pm  #7

I knew Terry when I was volunteering at Jazz.FM91 a number of years ago.  You won't find a nicer or more easy going person than him.  It was a pleasure to work with him.  I hope he enjoys his retirement.  It's well deserved. 

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

January 27, 2019 6:19 pm  #8

Terry asked me to post this.. so 'from the horses mouth' .  ...

Terry McElligott says "I'm humbled by and grateful for the kind comments from radio colleagues. As for the idea of going to a "Breeze" station or any other, I gave up answering to middle management in the 1980s. So the plausibility of me returning to radio is somewhere between Slim to None and Not Bloody Likely. Thanks.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

January 27, 2019 8:43 pm  #9

I met Terry briefly when he was at CHFI and he did impress me as a decent person and easy to listen to on the air as well. Maybe some will remember his early 90's stint at CFRB hosting one of their last programs that included music. It utilized his abilities as a music jock who could also insert a lot of interesting content between the songs.