sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 20, 2019 10:42 pm  #1

When A Radio Station Airs The Wrong Spot At The Wrong Time

Sometimes a commercial comes on at exactly the wrong moment.

Such was the case on CFRB Sunday night, when the host of the 9-10 PM show, John Tory Jr. (the mayor's son, who has been on the Roundtable in the past and is an executive in the airline industry) talked exhaustively and almost without a single breath pause about why people should not have a fear of flying.

He went on and on and on and on about how safe the skies are in general and why there's nothing to worry about being in a plane.

And then, almost mercifully, he threw to a break. And the very first spot that followed made me laugh out loud. It was one for "Star Trek: Discovery" and it began with the words, "We're on a collision course with a pulsar!"

Talk about the wrong spot at the wrong time!

(Not sure if Tory Jr. is doing a show of his own now or if he was just subbing, but it's interesting that 'RB is back in the John Tory business. And his speech patterns are exactly the same as his dad!)  

January 21, 2019 8:35 am  #2

Re: When A Radio Station Airs The Wrong Spot At The Wrong Time

Of course it's not. Never meant to imply it was. It was just the juxtaposition of a guy going on at length about colliding with something or crashing in midair, only to have a reference to a similar scenario immediately follow. Sorry if that was lost on you in translation.

I realize it was Tory Jr.'s first show on his own, but the guy really needs to learn to take a breath every now and then. Pacing is important. But I don't think I've ever heard anyone talk so much or so rapidly without pausing for 10 -15 minutes at a time, and then start all over again after a commercial break. It was dizzying and became hard to listen to.

He's obviously a very intelligent guy. He just needs to slow down a bit on air. I suspect that will come with time.

January 21, 2019 10:42 am  #3

Re: When A Radio Station Airs The Wrong Spot At The Wrong Time

grilled.cheese wrote:

Nothing goes over my head! My reflexes are too fast, I would catch it.

Like a cat?