sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 19, 2019 11:22 pm  #1

One of the oddest radio industry interviews...

In this article on the "Challenge of finding radio gigs" Radio Inc, a U.S. radio industry magazine, goes one-on-one with former radio personality and producer Nicole Sandler, in this interview she repeats on 3 different occasions, that she "doesn't feel she is not in radio".

The interviewer doesn't see her work now as a "podcast" host as a real radio gig and presses that button a few times with the same reply...

Have a read and share your thoughts...just because it is a podcast doesn't mean she is out of broadcasting...to me...it is just a new form of radio or how we communicate, learn, and get our content.

The game is changing, yes it is narrowcasting, but it is in essence drawing on the same talents, production needs, and efforts as it would be doing "real" radio.

Here is the article...

https://radioink.com/2019/01/17/the-challenge-of-finding-a-radio-job/

I am pretty peaceful, but I think I might have bopped the interviewer on the nose during this kind of dialogue.

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

January 20, 2019 1:00 am  #2

Re: One of the oddest radio industry interviews...

at the risk of inciting hatred, i would say that podcasting - while a valid form of broadcasting - is not "radio" by definition.  similarly, youtube videos aren't "television".  semantics, perhaps.  agreed though, semantics alone are not worth the risk of embarrassing an interview guest.

Last edited by splunge (January 20, 2019 1:02 am)

January 20, 2019 1:00 pm  #3

ok, so calling it radio is incorrect. but it is "broadcasting". the way i see it, if you're getting paid then you can call yourself a "professional broadcaster" (no matter how the product is being delivered).

Last edited by the original hank (January 20, 2019 1:03 pm)

January 21, 2019 9:48 am  #4

A reply to the original article linked above complains that ageism may not be the only problem facing experienced broadcasters. 

"There’s also a myth older workers are inflexible: again, not true — it’s radio that seems to be inflexible in how it has failed to attract a new generation of young fans. The other day, I asked some of my college-age students how many listened to radio that day, and no hands went up, although some said they listen in the car." 

Ageism In Radio — Not A Myth!