sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 17, 2019 5:31 pm  #1

Puget sound shares insights into what's in store for the radio in 2019

I thought this article is a bit of foreshadowing what may be in store for the Canadian radio landscape this year...Puget Sound is suggesting some major changes and shake-ups...he looks at Stingray broadcasting and some format flips (Halifax-The Jewel FM for example), being the norm this year ahead.

Here is the link to the article.

https://www.pugetsoundradio.com/2019/01/17/my-observations-for-radio-so-far-in-2019/

Thoughts and shares are welcome!

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

January 17, 2019 7:49 pm  #2

Re: Puget sound shares insights into what's in store for the radio in 2019

The Breeze at 93.5 would be problematic for Stingray, as a sizeable part of the audience would come from Boom 97.3. And that doesn't even out - the share loss at 97.3 would cost more than a modest gain at 93.5.

The only reason to flip 93.5 to Soft AC would be if the format were inevitable somewhere else, and they'd rather own it themselves to limit the damage.

January 17, 2019 9:53 pm  #3

Re: Puget sound shares insights into what's in store for the radio in 2019

I agree with what RadioAaron says, it’s nearly impossible that 93.5 The Move will be reformatted into The Breeze, as there will be potential clash with the age 35+ audience from boom 97.3. Boom 97.3 is having excellent ratings, getting a 10.8 share, just behind CBC radio one, therefore neither will boom make the change to Breeze. Moreover there’s a soft AC station in the suburbs: Jewel 88.5, however their ratings are not sufficient enough for other major corporates to take a direct aim for them. Therefore I’ll say that a ‘’Breeze’’ station in Toronto is quite improbable for now. Puget Sound Radio’s observation is quite not accurate I would say, as last December they speculated that either 999 Virgin Radio or CHUM will change format, turns out the drama is just for Adam Wylde to be the morning host of Virgin.

Actually I think 93.5 The Move brings a fresh sound to the radio landscape, as it’s the only major station to play hip-hop music in Canada and Toronto, however its rating has somehow stumbled for a while. It’s also difficult for Stingray to change the format of Move right now, as there are no major formats that they can take  aim on. One of the solution is that they could take reference to the major hip-hop stations in US to see how they gain success in ratings, as in Toronto hip-hop music could also be a potential gainer for people aged 18-34. It’s just the programming and advertising that makes the difference.

A little bit off-topic but, the Evanov’s joint application of CIDC and CIRR is still pending by the CRTC. If Evanov’s really getting the long-awaited pass by CRTC, making Z103.5 a de facto station, there will be a tense four-way battle of CHR’s in GTA. Z103.5 is actually a rhythmic-leaning CHR station, by playing more dance and urban tracks than 92.5 and 99.9 in their normal playlist. They might even have to lean more rhythmic and dance to make the subtle difference with the competitors, if they are really getting approved. Neither 92.5 and 99.9 can change the format to AC’s, as they’ve both got a sister station playing AC music. It would be fun to watch how the rating turns out for 92.5, 93.5, 99.9 and 103.5.