sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 14, 2019 12:13 pm  #1

Boom PD Responds To Unhappy Listener On Redit

Even in the age of social media, it's rare that one of the people in charge of a radio station finds the time to directly respond to a listener about a less than urgent issue. But Troy McCallum of CHBM, (Boom 97.3) did just that on Redit this past week, after a poster complained about morning man Stu Jeffries repeatedly singing along and interrupting a Neil Diamond tune during his show.

It's the kind of silly complaint I used to get in the TV newsroom where I worked, and I'd spend a few hours every week responding to all of them. Most of the time, I'd get a response back that said something like, "I can't believe you took the time to answer me!" They didn't always like what I said, but they were just grateful that someone actually read it and responded to their concerns. Over more than 30 years, there was only one person whose mind I couldn't change - in the end, she called me a moron!

And I'm guessing she was the only one who got it right!

Anyway, good on Mr. McCallum for taking the time to address the issue, minor though it might be. It's one small reason that the station is near the top of the ratings.   

You can see the thread here.   

January 14, 2019 12:51 pm  #2

Re: Boom PD Responds To Unhappy Listener On Redit

i've known troy for many years (we were once co-workers... back when he was a young whipper snapper...and i had more hair than i have now... lol). he's a good man.

January 14, 2019 1:25 pm  #3

Its the best station coming out of that CN Tower.  Period.

January 14, 2019 6:56 pm  #4

Troy McCallum of CHBM, (Boom 97.3) did the right thing replying to the listener who didn't like Stu Jefferies singing along to a song on his morning show. When I was PD at CFRB I responded to every email and returned every phone call and would go on air once a year during ratings to take calls from listeners and deal with their complaints.

When Gary Slaight hired me, he had one rule about listeners: respond to every letter (no email back then) and every phone call. It was the right thing to do then, and it was the right thing for Troy to do now. I know a lot of PDs who don't take the time to respond to calls or emails from listeners. It is a missed opportunity to connect with listeners.

Good on you Troy for taking the time to respond to that listener. 

Last edited by kowchmedia (January 14, 2019 10:12 pm)

January 14, 2019 8:08 pm  #5

Kudos to Troy McCallum for taking the time to answer that listener's concern but also not caving in to one squeaky hinge. (I wonder how many stations that routinely played Christmas music this past season are going to take a hit in the ratings because they were in a rush to ban "Baby, It's Cold Outside"? Okay, maybe not the stations themselves, but their parent companies).

Also, kudos to Stu Jeffries for going outside the bubble and doing something different  (ie., being entertaining and relatable, which is getting to be a rarity in radio these days). It's often times easy to forget that Stu is a one man show.  

ClassicHitsOnline.com...If you enjoy hearing the same 200 songs over and over again...listen to the other guys!