sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 2, 2019 7:50 pm  #1

RIP Daryl Dragon, 76 - Captain of The Captain & Tennille

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/02/entertainment/captain-and-tennille-daryl-dragon-dead/index.html

Daryl Dragon, one half of popular '70s duo The Captain & Tennille, died Wednesday, according to his publicist Harlan Boll.

Dragon, whose ever-present captain's hat left no doubt about which half of the duo he was, died of renal failure in Prescott, Arizona, Boll said.
"He was a brilliant musician with many friends who loved him greatly," Toni Tennille said in a statement. "I was at my most creative in my life when I was with him."
Tennille was at Dragon's side when he passed away, Boll said.
The duo's best-known songs included "Muskrat Love," "Do That to Me One More Time" and "Love Will Keep Us Together."

Last edited by Leslieville Bill (January 2, 2019 7:52 pm)

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

January 3, 2019 3:00 pm  #2

Re: RIP Daryl Dragon, 76 - Captain of The Captain & Tennille

There are two famous duos that were both signed to A&M records. The Carpenters and The Captain & Tennille. The Carpenters especially had a number of top 10 hits. The C&T also had many big hits in the early 70's. They do however share one thing in common as time has gone by. 

Try to hear any of their hits played on "oldies" or "Classic Hits" radio anywhere in North America. I've talked to a couple of musicologist friends of mine about this. We all agree that programmers find these two duos too "sugary" for airplay. Maybe too squeaky clean. It's a image problem that oldies radio find with these two hitmakers. I've never thought it was fair. You don't have to be a fan; but they deserve their place in Top Forty History. I think the first artist with many, many top 10 hits to be dismissed is Pat Boone. Although Sirius/XM play him now on 50's on 5 and 6.

Thanks for letting me have this little rant. There's never a time to discuss this; until the death of Daryl Dragon yesterday.

Last edited by John D (January 3, 2019 3:01 pm)

January 3, 2019 3:49 pm  #3

If listeners have cared enough (over 40 years, already) to communicate to music directors that they change the radio station whenever "muskrat love" or "we've only just begun" or "april love" is heard, should they ignore the information?

[Thanks for letting me have this little rant.    There's always a time to discuss this]  

January 3, 2019 4:03 pm  #4

I will add one peice of absurd musical trivia to this. Karen Carpenter played drums for a short while with the folk rock group Hearts and Flowers who later had Bernie Leadon ( of Eagles fame) as a member and had a near west coast hit with the song Rock and Roll Gypsies:

and one maybe not so absurd piece of trivia Muskrat Love was recorded first by America:

Last edited by Fitz (January 3, 2019 4:04 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

January 3, 2019 4:35 pm  #5

John D wrote:

There are two famous duos that were both signed to A&M records. The Carpenters and The Captain & Tennille. The Carpenters especially had a number of top 10 hits. The C&T also had many big hits in the early 70's. They do however share one thing in common as time has gone by. 

Try to hear any of their hits played on "oldies" or "Classic Hits" radio anywhere in North America. I've talked to a couple of musicologist friends of mine about this. We all agree that programmers find these two duos too "sugary" for airplay. Maybe too squeaky clean. It's a image problem that oldies radio find with these two hitmakers. I've never thought it was fair. You don't have to be a fan; but they deserve their place in Top Forty History.

Boy do I agree with John on this. Despite being constantly put down by her brother, which helped drive her to anorexia and her untimely early demise, I thought Karen Carpenter had one of the purest and greatest voices of almost anyone in the Top 40 era. Toni Tennille also had a great set of pipes. The fact they rarely get played is rather unfortunate, but I understand the reluctance. 

Both are seen as squeaky clean in an era where edginess is in vogue. And yet it's not entirely fair. Find me better songs than "Superstar" or "Yesterday Once More." That last one should be especially welcome on Oldies stations, since it's all about oldies.

I always heard that the Carpenters, for some reason, were huge stars in Japan. Not sure why, but I agree they never really got their due on this side of the pond.   

January 3, 2019 5:31 pm  #6

Should be added that before C&T Daryl Dragon did session and concert work with the Beach Boys and  his brother Dennis Dragon of the Surf Punks also worked with the BB. Dennis passed away just a few months before his brother.

You can see Daryl with the Beach Boys in this video:

and this is Dennis with the Surf Punks ( no complants please they were a spoof band):

Last edited by Fitz (January 3, 2019 5:33 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:

January 4, 2019 12:04 am  #7

Brian Wilson outlives two more, younger, former Beach Boys. Brian born June 20 1942, Daryl Dragon born August 27 1942. Daryl was an unlikely favorite of mine for his father's work on film scores and conducting the Hollywood Bowl Symphony Orchestra. (C & T on A&M ... did the Wrecking Crew play on those sessions?)

January 4, 2019 8:17 am  #8

Credit where credit is due. I never followed C&T but the Captain did nice work with the Beach Boys on those early 70's recordings and it's a shame that the release of Endless Summer turned them into an oldies jukebox.

Don't know the answer to your question Tom Sanders but Wrecking Crew member Larry Knechtel actually joined Bread as a full fledged member and did the guitar solo on Guitar Man. One of my favorites by them is this uptempo number which made the top 40 but radio won't play it anymore:

Last edited by Fitz (January 4, 2019 11:35 am)

Cool Airchecks and More:

January 4, 2019 3:53 pm  #9

Fitz thanks for that track with Carl Wilson.  I was always a very big fan of Carl.  Too soon gone.

Speaking of vocal groups of the 70's, I got invited to an album release for America back inthe early 70's.  It was held at Todmorden Mills just off the Don Valley Parkway.  I've never been back there since; but I had a good time that night.

Last edited by John D (January 4, 2019 4:01 pm)

January 5, 2019 5:51 pm  #10

Can't say I agree with you totally John.  Karen's remains one of the greatest voices ever recorded and their first record or two were really pretty good.  But then her brother began to slather way too much sugar, saccharine, etc on most of what followed.  I guess it worked for a few years but then?  The worst thing that ever happened to Karen Carpenter was Richard.  A beast really.

The Captain and his Toenails?  My teeth hurt.  Maybe Love Will Keep Sedakas' band account Together but after that?   NO.  Pretty much backing performers at best.  A low level old Vegas act.

So many songs which were, once upon a time, noteworthy hits just haven't really stood the test of time and they deserve to be retired and, perhaps, if somehow necessary, played at home/in secret.  I'd say that there are FAR better songs which have been cast adrift and ignored.  Young programmers don't know them so they stand no chance of being considered unless a glorious chart position was purchased on their behalf back when they were 'happening'.  I truly don't care if a song ever made the top 50 or even the top 100.  Whatever it is if it's a great song, fits the format and stands shoulder to shoulder with the other tunes being played in terms of quality and know-how that's what I want to hear.

Maybe for a station aimed at folks 80 and older Karen and Toni would 'work'.  Why make everybody else suffer?

January 6, 2019 1:27 am  #11

Lee Marshall wrote:

Can't say I agree with you totally John.  Karen's remains one of the greatest voices ever recorded and their first record or two were really pretty good.  But then her brother began to slather way too much sugar, saccharine, etc on most of what followed.  I guess it worked for a few years but then?  The worst thing that ever happened to Karen Carpenter was Richard.  A beast really.

The Captain and his Toenails?  My teeth hurt.  Maybe Love Will Keep Sedakas' band account Together but after that?   NO.  Pretty much backing performers at best.  A low level old Vegas act.

So many songs which were, once upon a time, noteworthy hits just haven't really stood the test of time and they deserve to be retired and, perhaps, if somehow necessary, played at home/in secret.  I'd say that there are FAR better songs which have been cast adrift and ignored.  Young programmers don't know them so they stand no chance of being considered unless a glorious chart position was purchased on their behalf back when they were 'happening'.  I truly don't care if a song ever made the top 50 or even the top 100.  Whatever it is if it's a great song, fits the format and stands shoulder to shoulder with the other tunes being played in terms of quality and know-how that's what I want to hear.

Maybe for a station aimed at folks 80 and older Karen and Toni would 'work'.  Why make everybody else suffer?

"their first record or two were really pretty good." Yes, plus the many, many that followed. There are so many - Superstar, For All We Know, A Song for You, Yesterday Once More, Hurting Each Other, Goodbye to Love, Rainy Days and Mondays, Make Believe It's the First Time, I Won't Last a Day Without You, Only Yesterday, Sweet, Sweet Smile, Touch Me When We're Dancing, Those Good Old Dreams, plus her many wonderful Christmas renditions. As for Richard, he was a wonderful arranger and composer if not everyone's cup of tea as a producer.

Less of a fan of Toni Tennille, though The Way I Want To Touch You and Do That To Me One More Time are very nice.

Last edited by Dale Patterson (January 6, 2019 2:09 am)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

January 6, 2019 1:27 pm  #12

Lee Marshall wrote:

Folks 80 & older were weaned on Elvis, Little Richard, Elvis, Eddie Cochran, Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis & of course Elvis   

January 6, 2019 5:37 pm  #13

They have been checkin out the Big Band stuff too Kilgore...and the crooners and stuff pre-rock n roll.  Chances are their music 'glory years' ran from about the late 40s to the early 70s.

January 7, 2019 2:48 pm  #14

Lee Marshall wrote:

They have been checkin out the Big Band stuff too Kilgore...and the crooners and stuff pre-rock n roll.  Chances are their music 'glory years' ran from about the late 40s to the early 70s.

People who listen to music of the 40s have indeed been checkin out but not in the sense you intended, as they were likely born circa 1925 and are accordingly in their 90s.

On the other hand, listeners now turning 80 yrs of age were 15 yrs old in '54 when Rock Around the Clock and That's All Right Mama were recorded, and were 17 yrs old in 1956 when Elvis took the world by storm with appearances on the Dorsey Bros and then on Milton Berle's TV shows, both being widely reported sensations which even Ed Sullivan couldn't ignore so he booked Elvis for early 1957.    Nothing was the same after that.