sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 31, 2018 6:10 pm  #1

What is your favourite New Year's Eve Radio Memory?

I used to love the top  100 countodowns, or as shown below the top 79 of 79 (or top 100) countdown's that many hit radio stations did back in the day. 

You don't hear this on air anymore, but I would be glued to the radio to see what song ended up at Number One.

Growing up in Ottawa, CFGO 1440 (now TSN 1200) ...did a great job of this countdown and even had a "CFGO Top 100 Chart that you'd pick up at Sam The Record Man at Bayshore Mall...

CFTR did a great countdown too back in the day, complete with news stories intertwined with the music. News guy Corey Galbraith would pepper the music with the news of the day during CFTR's annual New Years eve/day countdown!

What is your fave memory? Share away!

Last edited by Muffaraw Joe (December 31, 2018 7:19 pm)

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

December 31, 2018 6:26 pm  #2

Re: What is your favourite New Year's Eve Radio Memory?

The New Year's Eve where WLNG wenr live and played at least four hours of New Year' songs. I had no idea there were so many New Year's songs. It was great!

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

December 31, 2018 6:35 pm  #3

CFGO for me too! But more in its mid 80s Energy 1200 days. I still have the two page newspaper version of CFRA's 1985 countdown framed somewhere, as well.

December 31, 2018 7:39 pm  #4

When I was but a lad I recall spending new years day listening to CHUM count down the top songs of the year on Jan 1st.  'For 62, 63', '64, '65 then a little less by '66 and finally '67 where I was caring way less and listening periodically at best.   By mid '68 I was completely gone.  CHUM FM was the only listening destination of worth for me by then.  [and then there's now]

I've seldom agreed with the 'charts' anyway.  It was, and is, most assuredly easy to see [hear] that they're bought and paid for.  Sorry but, these days the past 30 years], countdowns are entirely devoid of credibility.   If I never hear 97 of the latest 'top 100' ever again THAT'll be excellent. Favourite New Years Eve Radio Memory?  That's easy.

Not having to work any of them.  We're usually asleep by 9:00 or 10:00 these days. We get up early.  New Years Eve, as it turns out, means absolutely nothing to me.  New Years DAY is good still though.  It's a day off. 

See you next year.

December 31, 2018 7:56 pm  #5

Lee Marshall wrote:

When I was but a lad I recall spending new years day listening to CHUM count down the top songs of the year on Jan 1st.  'For '62, '63, '64, '65 then a little less by '66 . . . I've seldom agreed with the 'charts' anyway.  It was, and is, most assuredly easy to see [hear] that they're bought and paid for . . . countdowns are entirely devoid of credibility 

What Lee Marshall said goes for me, too

geo

December 31, 2018 8:25 pm  #6

geo wrote:

Lee Marshall wrote:

When I was but a lad I recall spending new years day listening to CHUM count down the top songs of the year on Jan 1st.  'For '62, '63, '64, '65 then a little less by '66 . . . I've seldom agreed with the 'charts' anyway.  It was, and is, most assuredly easy to see [hear] that they're bought and paid for . . . countdowns are entirely devoid of credibility 

What Lee Marshall said goes for me, too

geo

I third that except for me the first time I remember listening was in 1966 and by the time they got to 1969 I started gravitating towards FM b/c of the influence of the counter culture and the fact that a narrower vision was taking hold on Top 40. I also remember a time during the xmas/new years break around 1973 when David Pritchard was still on the all night shift at CHUM FM but he worked a rare day shift and played some excellent music.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

January 1, 2019 10:02 am  #7

doing new year's eve countdowns for multiple (canadian) time zones in one night.

Last edited by the original hank (January 1, 2019 10:04 am)

January 5, 2019 2:39 pm  #8

This is an odd memory.   I worked the board at CKFM New Years Eve, either '71 or '72 when at the stroke of midnight, tobacco companies pulled all ads from broadcasting.   So, New Years Eve, went out in a blaze of tobacco ads.  I seem to recall that virtually every spot was purchased by a tobacco company.

Anyone else remember that night and the "voluntary" ban that followed on New Years Day?

January 5, 2019 9:13 pm  #9

A little bit odd... but back in the 80's on Sunday nights (one Sunday I'm pretty sure was NYE), I used to listen to The Sunday Funnies and Theatre of the Mind on CHUM-FM.
I could be wrong but I don't recall the shows ever being pre-empted for NYE celebrations.
(My family didn't celebrate NYE much in the 80's)

Dave.