sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 3, 2019 1:02 am  #1

The World Junior Hockey Gamble

So now that the World Junior tourney in Vancouver & Victoria is without the host Canadian team how far will the tv & radio ratings fall??

Will TSN - who promote this tournament to death - get 5 or 10 per cent of the audience they were hoping for had Canada advanced?

Is that the sound of tv sets & radios changing the channel right across the country?

A few tears and a lot more curse words at TSN HQ tonight. 

January 3, 2019 2:28 am  #2

Re: The World Junior Hockey Gamble

That is the risk of this tournament. The strange thing is most of the other countries involved barely pay attention to this tournament. It is uniquely Canadian and TSN created. 

January 3, 2019 2:45 am  #3

i will say this much... i was geared up to watch the next two games after Canada this evening, and blocked out the semis and finals as must-watch.... until the team Can collapse tonite.  don't care now.

but on that same note, tsn is an afterthought for nhl coverage these days.  mid-week games and sportsnet castoffs.  their analysis "team" cannot compare to SN.  Back to the point, the juniors is all tsn's got these days and this tourney isn't going well for them

January 3, 2019 11:12 am  #4

I have already returned to my regular scheduled programming.

January 3, 2019 11:39 am  #5

splunge wrote:

.. but on that same note, tsn is an afterthought for nhl coverage these days.  mid-week games and sportsnet castoffs.  their analysis "team" cannot compare to SN. ...

couldn't disagree more.  i'll take the TSN crew (announcers, colour, analysis) over SN every day of the week. 

kypreos vs mackenzie .. seriously?

January 3, 2019 1:54 pm  #6

g121 wrote:

splunge wrote:

.. but on that same note, tsn is an afterthought for nhl coverage these days.  mid-week games and sportsnet castoffs.  their analysis "team" cannot compare to SN. ...

couldn't disagree more.  i'll take the TSN crew (announcers, colour, analysis) over SN every day of the week. 

kypreos vs mackenzie .. seriously?

I much prefer the TSN crew as well. And no doubt Eillotte Friedman is top notch.

But -- and yes there is a but...

I've said this before but once more won't hurt...

Never in the history of the recorded word has anyone said so little - so often as TSN's Darren Dreger - the absolute master of filling 30 seconds with total bullshit - nonsense & fluff.  

Last edited by unclefester (January 3, 2019 10:35 pm)