sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 30, 2018 7:06 pm  #1

Why Aren’t There More New Year’s Eve TV Marathons In Canada?

I’ve written about this before here, but this year, there’s more of it than ever.

I’m talking about the marathons that cable TV outlets in the U.S. launch every single New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day. And almost none of them are available in Canada.

The one that really hurts every Dec. 31st is the SyFy Network, a channel comparable to our Space. It’s been a years-long NY Eve tradition for them to run more than two full days of nothing but the Rod Serling classic “The Twilight Zone.”

This year’s edition starts at 11 PM Sunday and doesn’t end until Wednesday morning at 7 AM, a total of 64 shows back to back to back. (If you’re curious, you can see the entire list here.)

It would be a chance to catch up on episodes you’ve either never seen or those you’ve long since forgotten about. But alas, with certain exceptions, no one in Canada really ever tries the same thing. Yet it’s become something of a New Year’s tradition there. A small sample of what’s being played on cable down there, most of which we can’t get:

U.S Cable New Year's Eve Marathons

USA Network: Law & Order: SVU
TV Land: Two and a Half Men
Comedy: Reno 911!
FXX: The Simpsons
IFC: Batman (original ABC series)
BBCA: Doctor Who
Nickelodeon: Friends
Syfy: The Twilight Zone

That's just a small sample. 

Two that apparently can be seen here (if the stations are in your package) are The Honeymooners on WPIX and The Walking Dead on AMC. WSBK in Boston also does its annual Three Stooges marathon.

I just wish someone here would get with these programs and do more of this kind of stunting on the holidays when there really isn’t anything else on. Talk about being lost in the Twilight Zone!

December 30, 2018 7:20 pm  #2

Re: Why Aren’t There More New Year’s Eve TV Marathons In Canada?

You missed that TLC is doing a marathon of Dr. Pimple Popper! (Seriously...ugh...)

Looking at tomorrow's listings, it looks to me like most Canadian specialty channels are doing a marathon of some sort:

Much - Southpark
Gusto - Bones
AMC - Walking Dead
OLN - Storage Wars
CMT - Last Man Standing
Bravo - Killing Eve
Slice - Ocean's (movie marathon)
YTV - Lion King (movie marathon)
Discovery - Canada's Worst Driver
OWN - Welcome to Sweetie Pie's
E! - CSI 
Comedy - Big Bang Theory
Food - Iron Chef Canada
HGTV - Property Brothers
History - Pawn Stars
MTV Canada - Friends
Bravo - Law & Order SVU
Showcase - Toy Story (Movie Marathon)

Last edited by RadioAaron (December 30, 2018 7:29 pm)

December 30, 2018 7:53 pm  #3

I have a tough time choosing  here in Canada on New Years. I can watch Frank sing his best songs...

Or...there is always the Royal Canadian Air Farce New Years eve special, both will be over by 10 pm so I can get an early night to prepare for the Polar Bear Dip!

It is so tough to decide...so tough...

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

December 30, 2018 11:14 pm  #4

The CBC doc TV channel is doing a music marathon on New Years Day.