sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 23, 2018 10:24 am  #1

Sabres Play-By-Play Vet Removed From Booth On Stretcher During Game

Something was heard on Saturday's play-by-play of the Buffalo Sabres game that's almost never been heard before -  23 seconds of dead silence. It happened after longtime team broadcaster Rick Jeanneret experienced some sort of medical issue and had to be taken out of the booth on a stretcher, even as the game went on.

One of the analysts took over and finished the contest in what likely felt like an hour instead of just about 30 seconds. There's no immediate word about what happened, but Jeanneret has had health challenges before - including a battle with throat cancer and having a pacemaker.

To many in Buffalo, Jeanneret is the Foster Hewitt of the city's hockey broadcasts. He's been the beloved voice of the team since the 70s.

Buffalo News: Rick Jeanneret taken to hospital after disappearing from Sabres broadcast

December 23, 2018 2:14 pm  #2

Re: Sabres Play-By-Play Vet Removed From Booth On Stretcher During Game

Wow, a bit shocking...I wish him well and hope he can be home with his family for Christmas...

Thanks for sharing RA...

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

December 23, 2018 8:11 pm  #3

Hey RA here is an update on this story!!! It is good news...but holy moly, the guy is 76 and still cooking...
Rick Jeanneret is "resting and doing well," the Sabres announced Sunday, about 12 hours after the Hall of Fame broadcaster was transported to the hospital during the third period of Buffalo’s victory over the Anaheim Ducks.And, the team added, the 76-year-old Jeanneret already is looking forward to returning to the broadcast booth following the NHL’s three-day Christmas break.https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/sabres-broadcaster-well-hospitalized/

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

December 23, 2018 8:22 pm  #4

Thanks for the update. But I really think, given his previous problems, Jeanneret should think about either doing less than he's already doing or leaving.

I realize he might want to "die with his boots on" as the old cliche goes, but I'm not sure his family would agree. Anyway, it's up to him.

I can only think of the classy way Jerry Howarth bowed out. He knew he couldn't give 100% anymore, so after 36 years, it was game over. Still miss him on air and I'm not a Ben Wagner fan, but I believe Howarth made the right call.

December 24, 2018 4:30 pm  #5

The heir apparent to Rick Jeanneret is former Fan 590 host Dan Dunleavy. He dropped by recently to talk about calling Sabres games and the legendary Jeanneret.

https://www.torontomike.com/2018/12/toronto_miked_podcast_episode_406.html