sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 25, 2015 2:44 am  #1

No More Art Bell? No More On CFRB

Well that didn't take long.

With the departure of Art Bell from his newly reconstituted 'Midnight In The Desert' program, NT1010 appears to have lost interest in the show and its new female host. According to the schedule listed on their website, MITD has been replaced by the generic "Newstalk 1010 Programming," from 12AM to 3AM, which I take to mean more rerolls of shows from the previous day. I wonder what 'RB will do if Art Bell suddenly resurfaces, as some here have speculated he eventually will.

December 25, 2015 5:37 pm  #2

Re: No More Art Bell? No More On CFRB

WECK in Buffalo was also airing his show; a quick check of their webpage confirms they no longer air it.

Last edited by ckg927 (December 26, 2015 6:54 pm)

December 27, 2015 10:54 am  #3

he stopped producing the show due to death threats (to him and his family). it's a strange world indeed.

December 27, 2015 12:35 pm  #4

Actually, the show is still being done online - just not with Bell. Heather Wade took over after the shots rang out and will continue until the besieged former host decides he wants to - or it's safe to - come back. I'm not a fan in either case, but it appears those broadcast stations that signed on to air this thing did so because of Art Bell. Without him, the program is on, but the deal is off. Meanwhile, the originator, something called the Dark Matter Digital Radio Network, continues on the web, promising 24 hours of programming seven days a week.

Dark Matter Digital Radio Network

Last edited by RadioActive (December 27, 2015 12:38 pm)

December 27, 2015 3:07 pm  #5

I believe the DM Network also has to attempt to protect subscription fees people were paying to listen to Art online.  Same as the stations.   People tuned in, or bought in, because it was Art.  The site keeps hinting that he will, once again, return.   If memory serves, Heather used to be one of his producers, so she should certainly know how to find the items.  How to present them properly is the other half of the skill set though.

Dunno how many more chances at serving up that tired meal are out there though.

Last edited by ig (December 27, 2015 3:08 pm)

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

December 28, 2015 7:56 pm  #6

I hope he stays away because I'd like the Midnight to 3 slot again.

December 28, 2015 8:18 pm  #7

Let me clarify what happened:  I left News Talk 1010 to take up counseling and intervention which was REALLY distracting me from my show.  I left because I thought it was a smart move.

That was what? 7 years ago?

I'm burned out as a counselor.  At least in the private market.  I'm proud to say I saved a lot of lives, but I've also lost a lot of clients and when I say "lost" I mean to death.  It comes with the business.

I thought radio was making my life too chaotic and private practice would be a cool break.  I was wrong!

In the field I had a lot of unorthodox talents.  I've never done anything illegal involving a client.  Never could nor would.

People have noticed a different Mark Elliot on the radio and in real life. 

My job made me a bad guy a lot of times.

I was a bad guy if you were a trust fund baby living off a Swiss Bank Account. 

Calling Geneva, in French at 4 am is fun!  Especially when it means you won't be able to drive your luxury car to the crackhouse with unlimited credit.  You definitely won't like me when you have to sleep in a detox with bedbugs and remember that I arranged it.

It was fun being a heavy!  I enjoyed it excepting I see what's coming in the way of an epidemic that nobody, but nobody is paying any attention to.

I saw a teen counselor quoted last week in BC saying she could never have believed what's going on in our streets, excepting she's seen it. Up close and personal.

I brought People Helping People to Toronto in 1999 with Iain Grant's help at Talk 640.  Iain understood what I'm all about before anyone else here did.

I thank Iain forever for bringing me home!

I know Toronto.  I grew up here and I can show you where the bodies are.

Last edited by Mark Elliot (December 28, 2015 11:10 pm)

December 28, 2015 8:29 pm  #8

grilled.cheese wrote:

I miss Art Bell.  I hope he returns.

If you can't figure out how to pull him in on any AM radio, let alone online...I feel sorry for you!

December 29, 2015 12:42 am  #9

grilled.cheese wrote:

Mark Elliot wrote:

grilled.cheese wrote:

I miss Art Bell.  I hope he returns.

If you can't figure out how to pull him in on any AM radio, let alone online...I feel sorry for you!

It's tough to pull him in on a AM radio when he is no longer broadcasting; he retired due to threats against himself and family,

Although, he's a person and I'm a person.  Maybe I can start a show on CFRB called "person helping person" and help Art Bell.

No offense to Art. I'm sure he's got his reasons.  I just want Toronto.  He can have the rest of the world!