sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 24, 2015 12:35 pm  #1

The Radio People You Never Hear

An article that pays tribute to the unsung heroes of radio - the people behind the glass.

"If you’ve ever walked to the very edge of the Grand Canyon and had that feeling as you thought — even if only for a second — what would it would be like to lose your balance, you know what being a producer is like."

On radio, the daily heroes you never hear  

Last edited by RadioActive (December 24, 2015 12:36 pm)

December 24, 2015 4:52 pm  #2

Re: The Radio People You Never Hear

Interesting article but the author obviously doesn't live in the real world of talk radio. My favourite paragraph in this essay is:  "Hosts don’t push buttons. They sit, think deep thoughts, ask questions, and — if you haven’t done live talk radio in a few decades — spend ridiculous amounts of energy trying to avoid throwing up. Easy"

Well, from my experience visiting behind the glass with an op and producer/screener (if there is one) talk show hosts in private radio are a lot busier than pampered public radio hosts. The blogger (who leads a pampered life as a host) needs to get out into the real talk radio world to visit behind the glass in private radio  ... I suspect if he did that, he would be puking into the nearest garbage can in master control.

Last edited by kowchmedia (December 24, 2015 4:53 pm)

December 24, 2015 8:26 pm  #3

46 years and I'm still edgy before a show...

December 25, 2015 2:27 am  #4

more than a few times, i've whispered instructions (to the op, via talk back) when someone else in the studio or a caller is making a point. hell, i've hosted a national call-in request show, with no op.

Last edited by the original hank (December 25, 2015 2:29 am)