sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 9, 2018 10:41 pm  #1

Waterloo's Legendary Sliders

Now available in Heidleberg. The Marks Family is sharing the original Recipe.

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1536545

November 28, 2018 5:28 pm  #2

Re: Waterloo's Legendary Sliders

the Huethers Cruisers gang met over the weekend and Harmony Sliders from Kevin Stemmlers' butchery were on the menu; only one missing was the late Craig Smith who always enjoyed Bruce's sliders

December 2, 2018 8:26 pm  #3

geo, as soon as i saw the words "harmony lunch" i too thought of craig. i also thought of that "something special" you added to craig's casket.

Last edited by the original hank (December 2, 2018 8:27 pm)

December 3, 2018 1:53 pm  #4

Intention was that Craig be buried with it, but who knows?     Can undertakers be trusted?    It could show up on E-bay or Kijiji

December 3, 2018 5:50 pm  #5

...especially if the undertaker is a chum fan.

December 4, 2018 8:20 am  #6

the original hank wrote:

. . . especially if the undertaker is a chum fan.

Isn't everyone?

December 4, 2018 11:57 am  #7

geo wrote:

the original hank wrote:

. . . especially if the undertaker is a chum fan.

Isn't everyone?

From late 1963 and the days of the old top 50 to mid '68 I used to make the 30 minute walk from my childhood home to the Kingsway Music Store on Bloor, just west of Royal York, to always pick up a CHUM CHART and to often buy some records.  [45s and albums]  The only time I didn't go was when I went with my Mom to shop at Cloverdale Mall and I picked up my 'necessities' there.  I made the 12 minute walk south to Humbertown to see Bob McAdorey and, shortly thereafter, Mike Darrow live on remote.  Got Mike's autograph on that first 'Zombies' album.

'Did' the Prince's Gates thing at the EX for a similar number of years.  Thought Jackson Armstrong was the most exciting thing ever. [at the time]  Began to wander when the Open Lid opened over at the 2nd greatest radio station in the world.  Then along came one oh four point five, in stereo, C. H. U. M. 'effemmm'.

So ya I would agree.  At least at some point along the way "Isn't everyone?" seems rather applicable.

I was also rather pleased when they used to give me cheques as well.  Kind of them I thought.  [both in Winnipeg and in Toronto]  Never did get paid for appearing as a voting high school guest  on 'Prez's Pop Panel' back in 1967 though.  "Is it a 'blaster' or a 'disaster'?"  On the bright side of Brian Skinner's show I did win 'It Hurts to Be in Love'/Gene Pitney for being the first voter through one night on 'The Battle of the New Sounds' 3 years previously in 1964.

One more thing speaking of CHUM[s].  Terry Steele [Jimmy Stromberg] was my dearest friend.  I continue to miss him a ton.  And I still speak with his eldest daughter Nicki from time to time.  Nick and Bug.  What a pair.

Oh and, after the fact, Denny O'Neil and I became quite close as well.  Nice to see 'McGoo' back sitting adjacent to a mic again.

A CHUM fan?  Ya.  I guess I was.

Last edited by Lee Marshall (December 4, 2018 11:58 am)

December 4, 2018 1:02 pm  #8

What a great set of memories Lee! 

It brings up the question of "where did you go to get your CHUM Charts?" I inherited a slew of early 60s issues from my older sister and I still have them today. I think she used to get them at the old Morgan's Dept. store at Lawrence Plaza.

And then one day, around 1964, something new happened - Yorkdale opened and it was just a few blocks from my childhood home. I used to walk there and head to Music World, which carried the charts, along with a short-lived RPM handout.

In 1970, they were suddenly accompanied by an unexpected addition - the CKFH charts, and I collected those, too. 

I'm not sure I would go out of my way to do that if such a thing existed today. But back then, it was something of an occasion getting those weekly surveys. There's nothing that quite compares to it these days for a radio obsessed kid, if there are any left. But I remember that I really looked forward to it.