sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 30, 2018 11:57 am  #181

Re: The Songs Oldies Radio Forgot

Someone mentioned Lobo in a previous thread. 

Which brings up these two rarely heard classics. 

November 30, 2018 12:44 pm  #182

Billboard #1 in the weeks after JFK's death and before North American Beatlemania --

November 30, 2018 5:32 pm  #183

Written by Motown's Norman Whitfield in 1976, performed by Rose Royce, and included on the 1980 "Car Wash" soundtrack album.

They don't get much smooooooother than this...

November 30, 2018 5:53 pm  #184

Christmas? You want Christmas? From 1987, Sweden's Roxette.

November 30, 2018 6:08 pm  #185

Shake your booty if you remember this one.

November 30, 2018 9:30 pm  #186

Anybody can do the Twist. But, can you do the...

P.S. My sacroiliac is feeling it these days. 

December 1, 2018 6:31 pm  #187

Written by our own Buffy Sainte Marie.

Covered by Donovan.

December 1, 2018 8:34 pm  #188

In honour of the first night of Hanukkah this week, this long lost classic seems appropriate. Reached #21 on Billboard in 1973. Never gets - you should pardon the expression - spun.

December 1, 2018 8:38 pm  #189

A number of these songs make me glad that the young programmers of today don't remember them.  We used to play them as the worst songs of all time Tuesday nights at Tom Alley's Boot Bar and Grill.

December 1, 2018 9:47 pm  #190

Onward and upward. 

Last edited by Dial Twister (December 1, 2018 9:50 pm)

December 1, 2018 9:58 pm  #191

Lee Marshall wrote:

A number of these songs make me glad that the young programmers of today don't remember them.  We used to play them as the worst songs of all time Tuesday nights at Tom Alley's Boot Bar and Grill.

Well, look at the plus side. At least no one's suggested "Little Arrows" by Leapy Lee. 

Oops! Too late!

December 1, 2018 11:41 pm  #192

Here's one with a very notable achievement - the first Lennon/McCartney tune to chart in North America made the lower reaches in Billboard but was top 15 in Chicago.

Last edited by Fitz (December 1, 2018 11:41 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

December 1, 2018 11:47 pm  #193

and here is one for Lee Marshall. Did make billboard but never took off in the major markets too art-pop-rock

Last edited by Fitz (December 1, 2018 11:47 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:

December 2, 2018 9:48 am  #194

Even with her lip-sync flub at the beginning, how can you not forgive Dusty?

This one should bring you back to a windows-down, summer's-eve cruise down Yonge Street, when EVERY car radio is blasting 1050 CHUM. Very few cars had A/C in those days, so it was windows down all summer. You pull up to a stoplight, and every car radio has the same music. That's what I miss the most about that era.......unity, Baby.  

December 2, 2018 9:58 am  #195

December 2, 2018 11:37 am  #196

Here's one from 1969 that's arguably one of the weirdest tunes in Top 40 history. A song sung to Tricia Nixon, the daughter of then U.S. president and soon-to-be-Watergate infamous Richard Nixon. To top it off, the "hit" version (there was also one by Jay & The Americans)  was by a Canadian - Andy Kim!

December 2, 2018 4:29 pm  #197

The Tricia Nixon post reminded me about the time the future Flo and Eddie and the Turtles played the white house and did drugs there cos Tricia was a fan. Google it but here is a pic from that day in 1969:

Last edited by Fitz (December 2, 2018 4:29 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:

December 2, 2018 4:38 pm  #198

Fitz wrote:

The Tricia Nixon post reminded me about the time the future Flo and Eddie and the Turtles played the white house and did drugs there cos Tricia was a fan. Google it but here is a pic from that day in 1969:

Which, of course, leads us to...

Great song!

December 3, 2018 12:03 am  #199

Unusual cos the character named in the title isn't in the song. Most how-to books for writing fiction discourage the use of off-stage characters who don't appear in the story line --

December 3, 2018 8:00 pm  #200

There is so much amazing music on Harrison's "All Things Must Pass" album that it's hard to imagine that we need reminding of any of the tracks.

But, in case...

We miss you, George.

December 3, 2018 8:48 pm  #201

December 3, 2018 10:03 pm  #202

Not even Dale would dare to put this one up! Reached #18 on Billboard country charts, #57 on the pop charts and yes, it was played on CHUM back in 1966. Much like "They're Coming To Take Me Away, Ha Ha!" this one would never get anywhere near a radio in these more politically correct times. In fact, the novelty record itself has become all but extinct, Weird Al Yankovic nothwithstanding.   

December 3, 2018 10:21 pm  #203

some of these songs match dale's criteria but there are many songs listed that have been longtime oldies format staples while some match what lee said (lol).

December 3, 2018 11:50 pm  #204

The long version of the Christmas song radio forgot --

December 4, 2018 3:33 pm  #205

Written by Roy Orbison, Jeff Lynne and Tom Petty, and recorded by Roy Orbison on the album "Mystery Girl", released (just under the wire, Dale) in 1989.

December 4, 2018 8:28 pm  #206

I know some will complain that this thread has gone on way too long, but I Can't Stop. 

Speaking of I Can't Stop...this was the follow-up to "Have I The Right" by the Honeycombs.

For a song that has the word "Stop" in it, it never really does. 

December 4, 2018 9:11 pm  #207

This one went to #17 on Billboard. I haven't heard it in decades.

December 4, 2018 10:40 pm  #208

RadioActive wrote:

I know some will complain that this thread has gone on way too long, but I Can't Stop. 

I ploughed through the the legal jargon related to membership in this exalted discussion platform, Mr. Moderator, and in spite of my best efforts I failed to identify any clause forcing readers to view any particular thread.

Those of us making our feeble contributions reach back to 1987 and ask...

December 4, 2018 10:48 pm  #209

As you're no doubt aware, I was typing tongue in cheek during that message. Which is a lot tougher than just using your fingers! I know Dale has certainly expressed his appreciation for this thread. (And I think he's used a lot of the suggestions.)

So feel free to say "And The Non-Hits Just Keep On Comin!"

Last edited by RadioActive (December 4, 2018 10:50 pm)

December 4, 2018 11:46 pm  #210

Reaching way back to 1958 for this one. Zoomer Radio is likely the only place in SO/WNY where you'll hear this.