sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 25, 2018 1:36 pm  #1

Radio! TV! Alert! Alert!! this Wednesday Nov 28 "this is a test"

Radio, television, and cellphones will once again try* to broadcast a test of the "Alert Ready" system at 1:55 pm. this Wednesday afternoon.

As the big yellow board has documented, previous attempts to get the "Alert Ready" blurb out to the majority of the population have been woefully inadequate. It remains to be seen, or, more accurately heard, whether there will be any improvement Wednesday afternoon in the delivery of said test, but it does give radio hosts, and the rest of the media something to yak about if it's a slow news day.

Fun fact: the test will be occurring at a different time in la belle province, Quebec, because,well, it's Quebec.

*to quote a wise little fellow, there is no try (yada yada yada)

November 28, 2018 4:46 pm  #2

Re: Radio! TV! Alert! Alert!! this Wednesday Nov 28 "this is a test"

grilled.cheese wrote:

Someone needs to monitor CKNT during the test. 

And I did! They had it. 

But here's a question I hadn't considered: what happens if you're listening to a station's online feed? Do you still hear the alert? Anyone know? 

Last edited by RadioActive (November 28, 2018 4:47 pm)

November 28, 2018 5:42 pm  #3

grilled.cheese wrote:

Someone needs to monitor CKNT during the test. 

On that station, the alert was used to awake you from your sleep from the programming. 

November 28, 2018 8:08 pm  #4

What I got a kick out of, was Newstalk 1010 covered the Ready Alert as a top of the hour news story throughout the morning, and thoughtfully gave listeners an example of what it would sound like, by playing a few seconds of the grating shrill alert, which was probably good reporting, but man that sound is effective/awful.(yes, that's the point of it, obvs)

Glad to read that CKNT kould kut it, and aired the test.

November 28, 2018 9:49 pm  #5

Once again my phone did not get the alert. Unless I get a newer phone, if there is a nuclear attack I won't know until it's too late.

November 28, 2018 10:25 pm  #6

November 28, 2018 11:21 pm  #7

Received a notification on my cell via Weather Network;  but no Alert /sound from the original sender.