sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 28, 2018 11:48 am  #1

Former CRTC Commissioner Now A Talk Show Host On CKNT

I just noticed that the guy CKNT, aka Sauga 960, hired to do their 9-11 AM show is Marc Patrone. According to his LinkedIn page, he used to be a CRTC Commissioner for five years, starting in 2008 and ending in 2013.

Interesting.

I wonder what it's like for him to have to abide by some of the often arcane rules he may have helped put in place. I can't think of another ex-CRTC-er who wound up on air, although there could be some. I find it hilarious that he describes the organization as a "quasi-judicial tribunal."

I don't really listen to him, so I have no idea if he's any good, although he's worked for a few mostly Conservative news organizations in his time. What do you suppose would happen if he said something controversial and it ended up in a complaint to the Commission?

Also fun to note that his page lists "Sauga 960," whose sole purpose is supposedly to serve Mississauga, Brampton and Peel, as being in the "Toronto, Canada area." 

CKNT just moved into their new studios as of this past Monday (Nov. 26th), although I admit I have no idea where they are now. They had seven years to get their facilities ready - and they just now finished the place? 

November 28, 2018 11:58 am  #2

Re: Former CRTC Commissioner Now A Talk Show Host On CKNT

Does he take calls? If he does, call in and ask him. Wonder no more. 
May make for an interesting discussion.

November 28, 2018 12:16 pm  #3

Hmm, just found these very revealing articles, one from 2008, the other from 2013.

Toronto Star: Tories appoint former candidate to CRTC

Marc Patrone, Former CRTC Commissioner, Takes Job At Sun News

November 28, 2018 12:34 pm  #4

Sorry, one more thing. Here's an example of a time when Patrone differed with his CRTC colleagues on the topic of campus and community radio stations. It came in the form of a dissenting opinion at the end of a Commission hearing on the subject. 

"My concern ... is that community radio may gradually become something more akin to a commercial venture. There is some evidence suggesting this is already happening.

Most of the community radio stations in Canada continue to offer programming ‘distinct’ from the commercial sector. However, some private commercial radio stations, particularly in French-language markets have grown increasingly concerned about the ‘commercially competitive nature’ of what are supposed to be ‘community’ non-profit operations.

The privates argue that, in the absence of stricter regulatory ‘dividers,’ some community radio stations may find it financially expedient to forsake true ‘community broadcasting’ practices in order to become more commercial." 

Well, you know, he wasn't entirely wrong. Just take a look at what used to be CHRY, York University's campus station. As I recall, they fired all their volunteers in 2015 and became "Vibe 105." Exactly how they're serving the audience they were licenced for is unclear. According to a Wikipedia article, they're still partly funded by York U. students. 

Anyway, it shows he wasn't always in sync with his fellow commissioners during his term there.   

November 28, 2018 12:49 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

Also fun to note that his page lists "Sauga 960," whose sole purpose is supposedly to serve Mississauga, Brampton and Peel, as being in the "Toronto, Canada area." 

I wouldn't read too much into that.  A lot of people outside the GTA don't understand the difference.  And folks out of the provice...   well.

Reminds me of a few years ago when there was a major international figure skating event being held at the Hershey Centre and it was being covered by a U.S. network.  On their bumper videos coming out of commercials, they often had these lovely shots of the CN Tower to establish the location.

November 28, 2018 5:43 pm  #6

Call in and ask if CIDC FM will finally get approved for tower move.

November 28, 2018 6:07 pm  #7

Grilled Cheese.  geo must be very excited about this.

November 28, 2018 6:21 pm  #8

AMFM wrote:

geo must be very excited about this.

If life was fair (it isn't) news/talk 1010 would bring Mike Bullard back 12:05 - 12:59 p.m.