sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 23, 2018 9:59 am  #1

For those of us of a certain age...

The most impactful event of my youth, one that affected the entire world, went unrecognized on all media that I was able to monitor yesterday.

55 years ago yesterday, John F. Kennedy was assassinated. I know, it's fading into history now, but those of us who lived through it will remember the absolute numbing feeling for days afterwards. It truly was the beginning of a downward spiral that has led to the current occupant in the Oval Office.

Did anyone see, or read, even a 10-second mention? I guess there have been so many assassinations and murders since that it's hard to keep up. C'est la vie.

November 23, 2018 10:34 am  #2

Re: For those of us of a certain age...

i remember being let out of school (early) right after the news of his death was announced.. i went to a catholic school in boston. the nuns (and most catholics... especially in boston) placed jfk right up there with the pope.

November 23, 2018 10:50 am  #3

It is astounding to think that there are probably just as many - if not more - people alive now to whom this is ancient history and weren't around at the time it happened. I was just a really small kid and I remember naively thinking that "assassination" was a dirty phrase, because it had the word "ass" in it! Funny how those things stay with you. 

This is always a huge topic on the syndicated Coast-to-Coast radio show every November, which loves to explore the conspiracy angle, and while I didn't listen this week, I'm willing to bet it came up again this year. And of course, it's still a big story in Dallas, where the killing took place. 

Here's how one local TV station there decided to mark that dark day.

Former Dallas radio reporter recounts JFK assassination

But there's a local angle here that may have been long forgotten. This story was an obsession of both CFTR news director Robert Holiday and the late Clint Nickerson, who also worked at the station. Back in 1976, they produced an award winning radio documentary called "Thou Shalt Not Kill," which presented evidence pointing towards a conspiracy to kill the president.

Someone has put the entire very lengthy show on YouTube. Here's part one with the rest available on the site:

November 23, 2018 11:51 am  #4

Rogers Yahoo did an excellent job of reporting on this. 
HEY?
Did Google do anything for this? They usually have a doodle for important people in history...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

November 23, 2018 12:19 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

This is always a huge topic on the syndicated Coast-to-Coast radio show every November, which loves to explore the conspiracy angle, and while I didn't listen this week, I'm willing to bet it came up again this year.  

And you would of course be correct. I did listen to the first part of the program. At least three different guests -- each given an hour to tell their story and expound upon their theory of what happened that day.

The mob - the military - Castro - the Russians or the C.I.A./L.B.J  all still suspects to this day...

And I find that as time marches on both the "theories & facts" become more bizarre & outlandish rather than accurate and truthful. In other words are we really any closer to knowing what did happened that day?

Last edited by unclefester (November 23, 2018 12:21 pm)

November 23, 2018 1:09 pm  #6

When JFK died, I pooped my pants!  It may have been due to being a year and a half old though.

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

November 23, 2018 1:29 pm  #7

I didn't hear anything on radio about this sad anniversary, even Twitter had almost no mention, which is odd for Twitter, though John Moore did tweet at least once about it.

Former Secret Service agent Clint Hill was tweeting throughout the day. Hill was with the Kennedy's that November day, was with the motorcade at the time of the shooting, and wrote a book about it "Five Days In November". He tweeted details about how the day unfolded, a few quite understandably graphic.

It's too bad most media was too busy with Thanksgiving and Bleh Friday faff to mark the day, even briefly.

p.s if you haven't read Stephen King's book 11/22/63, do, it's worth reading.

November 23, 2018 2:28 pm  #8

The Exchange with Matt Gurney did an extensive segment on it including live and breaking news audio clips from the news reporting at the time.

Last edited by Justalistener (November 23, 2018 2:29 pm)

November 23, 2018 3:42 pm  #9

I mentioned to a co-worker that it was hard to believe that it was 55 years since JFK was killed. I was 10 in 1963, and I still vividly remember my grade 5 teacher telling us in absolute disbelief that he'd been shot. We were glued to the tv all weekend. I didn't hear a peep about the assassination on the radio or tv yesterday. I did catch a bit of Coast to Coast the night before and immediately switched stations when I heard another preposterous theory. They are getting wackier every year.

November 23, 2018 5:35 pm  #10

One thing for certain, that terrible November day in 1963 was the end of this man's career.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaughn_Meader

November 23, 2018 6:19 pm  #11

RadioActive wrote:

Here's how one local TV station there decided to mark that dark day.
Former Dallas radio reporter recounts JFK assassination

He says he was 10 feet away from Ruby and Oswald when the former shot the latter. He must have been standing within feet of Peter Worthington (Toronto Telegram and later Toronto Sun).

It's a small, small world.