sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 19, 2018 2:41 pm  #2

Re: RIP, George Jonescu

R.I.P George.

My best (and only) memories of him was when I was young, family's cottage in Huronia.  Every dockside or boat radio was playing Big Band Saturday Night on Chay 93.1 and he was the host.

November 19, 2018 5:01 pm  #3

knew George much of my life.  had the pleasure of producing some of those BBSN shows on CHAY and the remote broadcasts.  interesting guy and taught me a few things along the way... knew how to tell a story!

November 19, 2018 6:31 pm  #4

Tim Brown 2016 wrote:

markow202 wrote:

R.I.P George.

My best (and only) memories of him was when I was young, family's cottage in Huronia.  Every dockside or boat radio was playing Big Band Saturday Night on Chay 93.1 and he was the host.

Similar story for me... Up at the family cottage in Haliburton. Great memories of BBSN.

A friend of the family loved the big bands and considered Jonescu an authority. I just remember his warmth along with his ability to create a party on the radio every Saturday night.

RIP

I remember how he talked slowly sometimes but ALWAYS remembered the one time he stopped a song to give a weather alert "everyone in this region...get into your basement right now".  It actually scared me.

November 21, 2018 12:02 pm  #5

Zoomer is airing a special tribute to George on Sunday, Nov. 25th, hosted by 740 personality Frank Proctor and Jonescu's son Robin. It will air at 7 PM. 

November 21, 2018 12:54 pm  #6

The official obituary doesn't make any mention of his radio past, which is interesting. 

George Ronald Jonescu

But the local Orillia paper indicates a lot of people who worked with him are recalling how much he meant to their careers.  

Popular former Barrie radio personality, George Jonescu, mourned

November 21, 2018 2:35 pm  #7

There are people actually listening to Big Band music ?

November 24, 2018 12:57 am  #8

Sorry to hear this. Used to listen to George on CHAY. He used to play music you couldn't get anywhere else on the radio, even CJRT, including stuff yet to be reissued on CD. I believe he subscribed to a service that sent him CD compilations of hard-to-find tracks. Fun listening Saturday nights.