sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 20, 2018 7:11 pm  #1

Virgin radio cleans house

Milky is reporting an all out purge at Virgin Radio...is a format change on the way?

https://www.milkmanunlimited.com/milkmanunlimited/virgin-toronto-cleans-house

I find these moves this close to Christmas, kind of rough...

Wishing all staffers well...

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

November 20, 2018 7:28 pm  #2

Re: Virgin radio cleans house

Oh wow.  Isnt the "Virgin Radio" group of stations a worldwide franchise or each independently owned?  I know Bell owns Toronto and Montreal but there is one in Dubai also.

November 20, 2018 8:34 pm  #3

They're all owned by unrelated broadcasters in each country (including England) who just license the name and look.

November 20, 2018 11:40 pm  #4

What the hell is this all about? Most of those let go have been there for a long time. The morning show was really good. The ratings have been good. The whole thing does not make sense.

November 21, 2018 1:19 am  #5

Bell must need to cut costs heading into the last quarter.  People are line numbers, and dispensable.

November 21, 2018 6:04 am  #6

FanOfPromos wrote:

Bell must need to cut costs heading into the last quarter.  People are line numbers, and dispensable.

Maybe they're saving up some money to buy Corus? 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

November 21, 2018 9:36 am  #7

Broadcast Dialogue reports that the move took those involved completely by surprised, and that the now-former-morning man says his show was doing very well in its demo. He's baffled, as the reprinted Instagram post in the article shows. The magazine's speculation is that a format change is in the offing. Meanwhile, they're subbing with a lot of talent from other Ontario stations.

Virgin Radio Toronto lays off on-air staff amidst speculation of brand flip

November 21, 2018 11:30 am  #8

There's no way they're changing format. Adam Wylde + ? coming soon for sure.

November 21, 2018 6:09 pm  #9

Adam Wylde is not a stretch. He left Kiss & Breakfast TV near the end of June. If he had a 6 month non compete clause, the six months will be up right after Christmas. Also lots of speculation that the "Virgin Radio" brand may be on the way out too. I can't imagine a format change as 99.9 does very well as a chr station in a very competitive market. In terms of the number of listeners, CKFM out performs every Toronto  radio station except CHFI and their share has been growing-almost tied with CHUM-FM in the summer. However, I still don't understand dumping the whole morning show. TJ, who does PM drive, did the morning show today and it was almost a wall of music as it is in dayparts other than mornings.

November 21, 2018 6:15 pm  #10

The rumours of a re-brand seem to be single-sourced and feeding on themselves.

November 21, 2018 6:58 pm  #11

They might just be doing a "refresh" and not so much format change like they did with CHUM.   So im guessing it this happens it will consist of dropping the "FM" and calling it Virgin 999 along with a new logo and playing the same jargon. Who knows.

Remember them getting rid of Ingrid Schumacher which was still sad to see.  Amazing voice.

As I typed this I just got off the phone with cancelling Bell internet to go with Virgin Internet.

Last edited by markow202 (November 21, 2018 6:58 pm)

November 21, 2018 7:08 pm  #12

The FM in only in the logo, and not actually part of the name.

Here's my guess - The morning show change was planned a while ago, but they need to wait out the new host's non-compete. They waited for two things to fire the current show 1-The date of the new host's availability gets closer and 2-Wait for there to be another nation-wide set of layoffs so they can claim that the morning show firing was a layoff, not a dismissal without cause. They've protected themselves from a bit of legal trouble. 

Last edited by RadioAaron (November 21, 2018 7:16 pm)

November 21, 2018 7:19 pm  #13

Geo (no relation) Cope is not Vladimir Putin

November 21, 2018 9:30 pm  #14

There is no indication that the Ontario Premier's office was in any way involved with this decision.

November 21, 2018 11:04 pm  #15

RadioAaron wrote:

The FM in only in the logo, and not actually part of the name.

Here's my guess - The morning show change was planned a while ago, but they need to wait out the new host's non-compete. They waited for two things to fire the current show 1-The date of the new host's availability gets closer and 2-Wait for there to be another nation-wide set of layoffs so they can claim that the morning show firing was a layoff, not a dismissal without cause. They've protected themselves from a bit of legal trouble. 

RadioAaron, you are completely incorrect with regards to a "layoff" not being a dismissal without cause, and therefore allowing a company to avoid any legal issues aka severance payments.

A "layoff" is not a termination for cause. An employee who is "laid off" is still owed severance pay.

November 21, 2018 11:25 pm  #16

I agree completely! I didn't word it as well as I could have.

A) Call it a layoff = Standard severance, hard to fight
B) Dismissal without case = You can fight for more than standard severance. That's what I meant by lgeal issues. 

They combined B with A in this situation to weaken the morning show's case that they were fired without cause. 

Last edited by RadioAaron (November 21, 2018 11:28 pm)

November 21, 2018 11:33 pm  #17

RadioAaron wrote:

I agree completely! I didn't word it as well as I could have.

A) Call it a layoff = Standard severance, hard to fight
B) Dismissal without case = You can fight for more than standard severance. That's what I meant by lgeal issues. 

They combined B with A in this situation to weaken the morning show's case that they were fired without cause. 

Sorry, still wrong!

A layoff is a dismissal without cause (unless the employer can prove that the employee did something horrible and inexcusable, at which point they could argue a for cause dismissal, which is considered "capital punishment" in employment law).

There is no such thing as a "standard severance". There are severance minimums under the Employment Standards Act. But under common law, the fact that somebody was laid off as part of a larger, group layoff does not affect the amount of severance that they are owed.

Severance is based on your age, position you had, salary you earned, length of time at the company. Sometimes an employment contract can limit the amount of severance you are owed when your employment is terminated.

Last edited by Fjiri (November 21, 2018 11:35 pm)

November 21, 2018 11:48 pm  #18

Today  I learned!  At the very least it allows them to merge and minimize Bad News Days.

November 22, 2018 2:01 am  #19

RadioAaron wrote:

Today  I learned!  At the very least it allows them to merge and minimize Bad News Days.

Not to sound flippant, but had you ever listened to Lior Samfiru on the Employment Hour on AM640, you would know this.  Despite all the flack some give him around here, the programs do provide a useful service.  Likewise, Howard Levitt's show on NT1010 is worth a listen.  

I still remember after the Mottt's were let go at NT1010 how they sang the praises of Levitt for getting them a really nice severance. 

November 22, 2018 8:11 am  #20

RadioAaron wrote:

Now THAT is true! lol Better to do it all in one shot, ride that wave for a short while, and then walk away like nothing ever happened.