sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 15, 2018 12:41 pm  #121

Re: The Songs Oldies Radio Forgot

Two of my favorite French covers by Quebec bands, both on the Citation label w lyrics by Pagliaro"

November 15, 2018 2:04 pm  #122

You want Canadian? Oy, have I got Canadian....
The last time I went to see Valdy perform live, a few years ago, I was thrilled to learn that the years hadn't softened his political viewpoint. 

When did you last hear any of these gems on the radio?

Or, this one?

Or this?

November 15, 2018 6:25 pm  #123

Just noticed that Hee Haw veteran Roy Clark passed away from pneumonia on Thursday. He was 85 and despite the cornpone TV show, he was acknowledged as a great musician.

And while he had a number of Top 40 hits, the one that got played most often on the radio in these parts also fits this "never gets heard anymore" category. 

November 15, 2018 10:43 pm  #124

re: valdy. i'm guessing he's made a few bucks from canadian oldies stations adhering to can/con. he was a mainstay on the oldies stations and networks i worked at. 

November 15, 2018 10:50 pm  #125

here's a song that did well, back in the day, but was never part of the "oldies" revival. it's a true "cross-over" song that went top 5 on the c&w, easy listening, and even billboards hot 100 charts. btw, walter could pass as being from south of the mason-dixen however he was from lynn massachusetts  geo... this one's for you. 

Last edited by the original hank (November 15, 2018 10:51 pm)

November 15, 2018 11:24 pm  #126

the original hank wrote:

geo... this one's for you   

Golly, I haven't been on the receiving end of a dedication since Jack Schoone's Thurs evening program on AM 1490 CKCR in 1958.    Thank you, O. Hank

November 16, 2018 1:51 am  #127

A moderate hit from 1973 for Stealer's Wheel featuring Gerry Rafferty. It peaked at #29 on the Billboard Hot 100 and #12 on Canada's RPM Magazine chart. 1050 CHUM played this quite a bit during their second incarnation as an oldies station (2002-2009). It spent four weeks on the CHUM Chart and peaked at #20.

ClassicHitsOnline.com...If you enjoy hearing the same 200 songs over and over again...listen to the other guys!

November 16, 2018 7:05 am  #128

Thanks for your support SOWNY. Great selections!

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

November 16, 2018 10:17 am  #129

You're welcome, Dale. There's so much great music that has gone by the wayside, rarely to be heard again. The tight oldies and classic rock playlists drive me batty.
Check the violins on this beauty...

November 16, 2018 11:02 am  #130

A Canadian cover from Dianne Leigh, 1970...

(the first half of the above video)

...or the original from 1966?

November 16, 2018 11:18 am  #131

You know, the saddest thing in the whole wide world is to see your baby with another girl...right?

From 1963, a really cool sound...

November 16, 2018 11:23 am  #132

Dial Twister wrote:

You know, the saddest thing in the whole wide world is to see your baby with another girl...right?

From 1963, a really cool sound...

Martin Koppel of Kopp's Records, a great Toronto vintage record store, once told me that "Sally Go Round The Roses" was one of his biggest selling 45s and he had trouble keeping it in stock. He revealed that he could never figure out why this particular tune was so big in the GTA, but his evidence indicates that it was always in demand. For whatever that's worth.

November 16, 2018 11:58 am  #133

RadioActive wrote:

...He revealed that he could never figure out why this particular tune was so big in the GTA...

I'm betting "Sally's" bohemian sound tickled the early 1960s Beat ear. Very coffee house. 
These folks on Yorkville Avenue loved it. I did too. 

November 16, 2018 12:06 pm  #134

Another one from the early 60s, folks?

1962, with a kazoo. What more could you want? And, more importantly for Dale, when did any of us last hear this on the radio?

Last edited by Dial Twister (November 16, 2018 12:09 pm)

November 16, 2018 12:08 pm  #135

Loved the original Sally Go Round The Roses and I bought a cover of the song by English Folk-Rockers Pentage at Kopps in the 1980's. I still have both 45's:

Last edited by Fitz (November 16, 2018 2:51 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

November 16, 2018 8:10 pm  #136

I only heard this song ONCE...on a university radio station in the mid 70s.  I ended up recording a small snippet of it on cheap cassette that I still have to this day.  It sounds like a Night At The Opera outtake, mainly because it was produced by Freddie Mercury, with BrIan May's unmistakable guitar sound in the mix as well.

But why wasn't it a hit? 
https://manfrommanhattan.wordpress.com/

Last edited by barilko05 (November 16, 2018 8:13 pm)

November 16, 2018 8:18 pm  #137

And one more...for instrumental lovers:

Last edited by barilko05 (November 16, 2018 8:19 pm)

November 16, 2018 9:40 pm  #138

From 1962, Ketty (not Kitty) Lester. It grows on you. Check the piano licks...

November 16, 2018 9:51 pm  #139

I heard this song for years and years and never knew its title since it was only played as fill music to TOH newscasts or as bumper music in and out of commercial breaks. Produced by George Martin -- 

November 17, 2018 9:10 am  #140

Chuck99 wrote:

There are two versions of The Jaynetts recording of Sally Go Round The Roses.  The stereo version is amazing and does not sound like a 55-year-old song.

Okay, let's listen to the stereo version...

November 17, 2018 11:26 am  #141

Fast forward to the other end of Dale's target range...the late 1980s. Here is a very on-topic offering - Devil's Radio, from George Harrison's 1987 "Cloud Nine" album. I've selected a version that includes the lyrics. It's even more relevant today.

Enjoy...

November 17, 2018 11:27 am  #142

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOhKYp_2sDE
Loving You Baby - Wednesday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=744i1GOsrlI
We've Got to Get it On Again  - Addrisi Brothers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivBqA8p9r6Q
Turn Down Day - Cyrkle

November 17, 2018 11:43 am  #143

If this current-rotation TV commercial doesn't send you running back to Sam Cooke's amazing tunes, I don't know what will.

The original...

November 17, 2018 2:21 pm  #144

barilko05 wrote:

I only heard this song ONCE...on a university radio station in the mid 70s.  I ended up recording a small snippet of it on cheap cassette that I still have to this day.  It sounds like a Night At The Opera outtake, mainly because it was produced by Freddie Mercury, with BrIan May's unmistakable guitar sound in the mix as well.

But why wasn't it a hit? 
https://manfrommanhattan.wordpress.com/

It's an I.R.S. (It Really Shoulda) been a hit. Great find!

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

November 17, 2018 4:52 pm  #145

Dial Twister wrote:

If this current-rotation TV commercial doesn't send you running back to Sam Cooke's amazing tunes, I don't know what will.

The original...

The only commercial that I stop to watch and turn up the volume for.

It doesn't get any better for soundtrack selection.

November 17, 2018 4:57 pm  #146

when many canadians think of this next song their thoughts go to a 1971 cover version by the poppy family. personally, as a kid growing up on the east coast of the u.s.a. my thoughts go to the 1967 original (plus my brother bought the 45 when it first hit the wmex airwaves). here's the original version of "no good to cry" by "the wildweeds". 

Last edited by the original hank (November 17, 2018 5:01 pm)

November 17, 2018 8:01 pm  #147

Great to see that someone remembers the Wildweeds. Al Anderson from that group went on to NRBQ the group that has been called the greatest bar band in the world. Never played on Toronto radio but I think I heard them once on CKLN:

Last edited by Fitz (November 17, 2018 8:01 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

November 18, 2018 5:01 pm  #148

WTAC in Flint, and WSAM and WKNX in Saginaw, played both songs. WKNX being a handy alternative to Flint and Detroit top 40s, 10kw daytimer on 1210, leave it there after sunset and you got WCAU from Phila, hi --

November 18, 2018 10:58 pm  #149

From 1959, the greatest TV theme music ever. Written by Henry Mancini, and performed by Duane Eddy.

Oh yeah...

November 19, 2018 12:01 pm  #150

here's a 1967 "hit" that took the music and background off of another (previous) "hit'... ahhh, i remember it well although (many years later) i never played nor heard it on any "oldies" formats.

Last edited by the original hank (November 19, 2018 4:31 pm)