sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 13, 2015 10:25 am  #1

Radio stations hungry for new Christmas songs, find few hits

Why we hear the same old same old year after year after year after year...

"It's scary (how) the vast majority of (new holidays) songs become disposable. They really do," says Wendy Duff, program director at Toronto's 98.1 CHFI, which has been playing Christmas music 24 hours a day since Nov. 15. Classics from Nat King Cole, Bing Crosby and Burl Ives remain "the core," despite a regular influx of fresh material."It doesn't mean they're not strong, but they just don't have the staying power."

=========

Duff says modern songs seeking airplay should blend easily with the classics, since it's the old chestnuts that generally keep audiences listening."It's got to fit in — we still play Andy Williams. It's such a unique time of year when a playlist can span 50 years," she says."On paper, it looks ridiculous.... But it seems to work."And while there are complaints as soon as Christmas music begins being piped into public places, clearly many look forward to it.Duff says her radio station's online streams jumped 82 per cent since CHFI switched to holiday mode.

Radio stations hungry for new Christmas songs, find few hits

December 13, 2015 10:58 am  #2

Re: Radio stations hungry for new Christmas songs, find few hits

I always though it was funny that you can hear artists like Nat King Cole, Andy Williams and the Carpenters on stations like CHFI and Star 102.5 in the six weeks or so before Christmas but they won't go near them with a 10-foot pole the rest of the year.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

December 13, 2015 12:38 pm  #3

Dale Patterson wrote:

I always though it was funny that you can hear artists like Nat King Cole, Andy Williams and the Carpenters on stations like CHFI and Star 102.5 in the six weeks or so before Christmas but they won't go near them with a 10-foot pole the rest of the year.

Truthfully, they'd fit in better-format wise-on Zoomer Radio(AM 740)in Toronto or WECK in Buffalo. I have both stations on my car radio presets.

December 13, 2015 1:25 pm  #4

I have just posted a 1982 XMAS clip from Q107 and CFNY where you will hear some of the same but also some tracks that you don't hear much. Quality is not great. Source tape was long but defective and I salvaged what I could.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

December 13, 2015 2:35 pm  #5

ckg927 wrote:

Dale Patterson wrote:

Truthfully, they'd fit in better-format wise-on Zoomer Radio(AM 740)in Toronto or WECK in Buffalo. I have both stations on my car radio presets.

I like WECK a lot, but the signal isn't too great at the best of times and it's non-existent at night. I haven't liked AM 740 since Moses took over.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram