sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 1, 2018 10:11 pm  #1

It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like All Christmas On Some Radio Stations

This topic seems to come up every year and as October turned into November, it's here again. How soon is too soon when it comes to going All Christmas All The Time? We know CHFI will be heading down that seasonal slope, the only question is what day? My guess is November 19th, the Monday after the Santa Claus Parade, which is when they've made the switch in years past.

But it turns out some stations in the U.S. couldn't wait. Incredibly, one day after Halloween, they've already let the Yule tide rush in. Here are a few examples: 

Fort Wayne radio station playing Christmas music

Memphis radio station playing Christmas music hours after Halloween

This Cincinnati radio station is already playing Christmas music

And of course Sirius XM dropped the jingle ball on listeners this week, too.

Sirius XM has started playing Christmas music already and it’s dividing the Internet

Look, we all know this is coming and that for some reason, it works. But really. The U.S. hasn't even celebrated its Thanksgiving yet and some places are already Christmas heavy. Even if you're a fan of this stuff, you have to admit that with the big day still almost two months away, this is a little too early.

November 1, 2018 11:36 pm  #2

Re: It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like All Christmas On Some Radio Stations

Personally?  Noon or maybe even 6:00 PM Xmas Eve is soon enough for me.  Then close it off completely as the clock strikes 12:00 on Christmas night.  Enough already!

Some 'ducks' seem to love it though so 'somebody' has to go with it by December 1st.  Everybody else?  Please.  Not so much.  Not nearly.

November first?  What a horror show!  And it's in terribly poor taste.  Let us first remember the fallen, their comrades who survived but sacrificed nonetheless, the families who stood behind these National Heroes and show them all as much respect as we can collectively muster.  Of special note; This November 11th marks 100 years since the Great War called it quits.  That's where our focus needs to be.

Not sure ANY of them died [or even served] so that we could start commercializing this 'thing' we still call "Christmas" starting on November 1st.  Let's show a little respect lest we forget.

November 1, 2018 11:41 pm  #3

Its not just radio.

W Network ran a full schedule of Hallmark Christmas movies today and have promos advertising the same for the next 2 months.

November 2, 2018 12:00 am  #4

Some radio stations that go all Christmas November 1st are most likely changing format December 26th. 
I've seen this happen numerous times.
Surprisingly, here in Ontario, the two new Max FM's chose to sign on immediately after an all Halloween format on October 31st instead of going all Christmas November 1st and then launching Max FM on December 26th...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

November 2, 2018 9:36 am  #5

If you want Christmas music there are all kinds of stations "online" playing it 365 days a year !!

November 2, 2018 10:24 am  #6

Hmmmm ..... it is this time of year when I have to figure out when to post my Santa photo with my book online .... when Santa Parade happens, should I post it when CHFI goes 24/7, wait until December 1st or never again?

November 2, 2018 12:33 pm  #7

Studies say it actually causes stress when pre-maturely played early.  

November 2, 2018 2:19 pm  #8

It's important to note that CHFI's Christmas music (that does come early) gives them one of the best rating periods of the entire year.  So whether you like it or not it is successful  for FI.   I remember when it was Dec. 1; or Dec. 15 that Christmas music began and the closer you got to Christmas the amount of Christmas tunes got more plentiful; within the format.

By the way I was in Chapters before Halloween and all around the checkout counters were candy canes.  

Last edited by John D (November 2, 2018 2:20 pm)

November 6, 2018 4:47 am  #9

Both John Legend and William Shatner have released Christmas albums this year, which means there'll be new versions of some favorite classic holiday songs to brighten the airwaves, cheer the listeners into a festive frame of mind (and likely make those stuck in a radio booth skip the eggnog and go straight to the hard stuff.) ;)

Last edited by betaylored (November 6, 2018 4:54 am)