sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 23, 2018 2:11 pm  #1

This Station Is The Opposite Of Mojo Radio

Anyone remember the old Mojo Radio at 640? "Talk radio for guys," went the slogan back then. Well, now a station in the U.K. has decided to take that idea and flip it on its gender, introducing a new format that plays female artists - and only female artists. It's a spin-off of the Jack idea, although why they didn't call it "Jacqueline" or "Jackie" is beyond me. 

In the #metoo era, and with an emphasis on gender equality, I have to wonder how a format that played only males would be received. Come to think of it, could they even get away with a Mojo Radio today?

All-female radio station called JACK launching today 

October 23, 2018 2:44 pm  #2

Re: This Station Is The Opposite Of Mojo Radio

We have CHUM FM for that here

October 23, 2018 3:38 pm  #3

Remember this station?

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

October 23, 2018 6:04 pm  #4

markow202 wrote:

We have CHUM FM for that here

Bazzzzzzzzzziiiiiing! 

October 26, 2018 4:24 pm  #5

I remember it well Dale.  There was a very lovely, intelligent woman by the first name Wendy; who was a jock there.  Sadly I have forgotten her last name.  She was the girlfriend at the time of the late "Mysterious" Mike Williams of CKFH.  She would often drop by; when they were going somewhere.

October 27, 2018 1:36 pm  #6

Also tried in the US, on WSDM Chicago (97.9, in the late 60s) and WHER when Sam Phillips owned it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WHER_(defunct)

And in Flint MI on 1570 when the stn was still daytime only and the formats changed often. With all-female hosts, it was WWMN, "Flint's New Woman."

October 31, 2018 11:55 am  #7

Surprised that no one has made mention about the station being called "JACK". Why not "KATE", "JENN", or most any other 4-letter girl names?

The MOJO reference reminded me of their There are no Chicks in Jail - Don't Drink and Drive campaign.

Copied from Freddie P's old website;"
Buffalo Boy Mike April 21, 2010 / 21:00 Freddie, Loved Mojo when you guys made the switch, it fit you and Howard perfectly to do talk radio and why they broke up that format ill never know, it was a great lineup and fun to listen to throughout the day, it wasn't just for guys either, it was for anyone who wanted a little edgier talk radio. I still have my Stock Certificate from the show I was Stock holder #140, have the letter you and Howard sent to me and The Mojo "There are no Chicks in Jail" don't drink and drive bumper sticker framed."

http://www.canadianthinker.com/2010/04/mourning_mojo_1.html

I always though that was, or should have been, a pretty effective reason to not do such a thing 

Last edited by DeepTracks (October 31, 2018 11:58 am)