sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 25, 2018 9:12 am  #1

Changing of the guard at CHUM-FM

Roger Ashby has announced his retirement from the CHUM-FM morning show. His last day will be December 5th. CHUM mornings will not be the same. I first heard him at CKOC back in the late 60's. From there he moved to 1050 CHUM where he stayed until the mid 80's, having done overnights, middays and finally mornings taking over from Tom Rivers. He also hosted the Sunday Morning Oldies show. He moved from AM to FM and the CHUM-FM morning show where he has been ever since. Certainly going to miss him. I have always enjoyed listening to him. It is amazing that he has been at CHUM (AM & FM) almost 50 years. 

October 25, 2018 11:31 am  #2

Re: Changing of the guard at CHUM-FM

http://sowny.net/viewtopic.php?id=2719

Thanks! It's posts like yours that made this possible:

http://sowny.net/viewtopic.php?id=2715

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 25, 2018 11:45 am  #3

Storm wrote:

Roger Ashby has announced his retirement from the CHUM-FM morning show. .. He also hosted the Sunday Morning Oldies show.

One of my most memorable moments in radio is when Roger Ashby used one of my "factoids" on his Sunday Morning Oldies Show - and it was something that I posted on the original SOWNY board way back in its first incarnation. 

We did an interview with the late, great Gene Pitney on another station a few decades back and when the topic of his 1964 smash "It Hurts To Be In Love" came up, he told us a story I'd never heard before. The song was really recorded by Neil Sedaka, but he ultimately left the label and they didn't want to release it. 

So when they were looking for material for Pitney, they wound up keeping the existing musical track, wiping Sedaka's vocal off the original and putting Gene's there instead. It's why if you listen to it today, you can still imagine Sedaka doing it. It was one of Pitney's last hits, before he exited the charts altogether with "She's A Heartbreaker" in 1968.

I'm not sure why it came up, but I told that story on SOWNY. A week later, I was listening to the Sunday Morning Oldies Show on CHUM and I heard Ashby relate that anecdote just before he launched into "It Hurts To Be In Love." I was pretty sure where he got it from, and I didn't mind at all. Just thinking someone so legendary was reading my words and found them useful was a great reward, All these years later, I still remember it. 

As for Storm and I posting the news at around the same time, well, those things happen. I just finished mine slightly ahead of his, but he outlined some Ashby background that I didn't and I think the news is big enough to justify two separate stories! 

October 25, 2018 3:41 pm  #4

Roger had a long career and was a class act about it...he went to work, did his thing and wasn't too big for the job...

He will be missed.

Great radio guy with a great career

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...