sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 22, 2018 8:08 am  #1

CFRB Updates Its Station Voice

Noticed on Monday that NT1010 has changed its longtime station voice, although whoever it is doesn't have quite the same panache as the former WLS brander that was there before. A few of their stingers are new as well. 

I suppose it could be part of a refresh, and I haven't monitored other local Bell stations (like CKTB) to see if it's chainwide. But it will take some getting used to. I'm sure someone here knows who the new guy is. 

October 22, 2018 10:13 am  #2

Re: CFRB Updates Its Station Voice

I noticed the same changes this morning

No more Lloyd Robertson then?

October 22, 2018 11:05 am  #3

It's Richie Favalaro, who is in house, heard on CHUM.    Sound like a cost cutting move.    They have also remixed the sounders...      

Last edited by radiokid (October 22, 2018 11:06 am)

October 22, 2018 11:22 am  #4

radiokid  wrote:

Sounds like a cost cutting move.    ...      

Wouldn't be surprising in the least...

October 23, 2018 2:09 am  #5

Having a powerful 'voice' as the official Newstalk 1010 station voice may seem old school, and maybe a change was needed, but there is nothing notable about the new voice. The vocal tone is pleasant, but the read is matter of fact, there's no attention getting delivery to interest the listener.

CFRB could have used a distinctive voice, a voice that personified the station.

But if they didn't for financial reasons... to riff on the old saying: penny wise, sound foolish, or at best, absolutely average.

Last edited by betaylored (October 23, 2018 2:32 am)

October 23, 2018 7:58 am  #6

betaylored wrote:

CFRB could have used a distinctive voice, a voice that personified the station . . . to riff on the old saying: penny wise, sound foolish, or at best, absolutely average   

Jody Thornton has a distinctive & authoritative voice that personifies the station; nothing average about it.

October 23, 2018 9:22 am  #7

Aytononline wrote:

Did anyone else notice, they stopped saying "CFRB" and "I Heart Radio"

Actually, they're still doing both at the top of the hour news ID, but I think you're right that there's less emphasis on that ridiculous "iHeart" branding that I believe is fairly meaningless to the public at large. 

October 23, 2018 8:02 pm  #8

geo wrote:

betaylored wrote:

CFRB could have used a distinctive voice, a voice that personified the station . . . to riff on the old saying: penny wise, sound foolish, or at best, absolutely average   

Jody Thornton has a distinctive & authoritative voice that personifies the station; nothing average about it.

Here's the thing geo. Both Jody and Ritchie Favalaro, (who radiokid has said in this thread is 1010's new station voice), have a great delivery when they do their regular gigs. Ritchie is sunny and charming as a DJ, and Jody has a rich tone to his voice with a specific, professional diction when he does traffic. It's the read that's offhand, and sounds very unlike either of them.

Last edited by betaylored (October 23, 2018 8:14 pm)