sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 10, 2018 5:48 pm  #31

Re: The Songs Oldies Radio Forgot

Fitz wrote:

There is also an oWOW that was launched in 2014 by a person who was at Cleveland's WMMS FM, a great free form and rock station. I just tried to see if they are still around and they are. 

As luck would have it, this very station came up on Wednesday's Ross on Radio. While the Cleveland outlet is more classic rock than Dale's effort, it would appear Mr. Patterson is on the right track (even if they ARE more obscure tracks!)

Fresh Listen: oWOW Radio  

October 11, 2018 1:10 pm  #32

RadioActive wrote:

I was just about to install the Chrome Extension to listen to this station when I noticed the "Mindspark Interactive" notation. Yikes! Mindspark is one of the most intrusive, irritating, ad-generating pieces of crap in all of Christendom.

Needless to say that I declined to continue with the installation. For those who did, and if you find your browser suddenly acting strangely...
https://www.uninstallmalware.com/index.php?&Campaign=uninstallmalware&remove=mindspark&Network=o&QueryString=Mindspark%20Interactive&Ad=now

October 11, 2018 1:14 pm  #33

Meanwhile, how long has it been since you heard this one on any radio station?

From 1981

Last edited by Dial Twister (October 11, 2018 1:34 pm)

October 11, 2018 4:40 pm  #34

Dial Twister wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

I was just about to install the Chrome Extension to listen to this station when I noticed the "Mindspark Interactive" notation. Yikes! Mindspark is one of the most intrusive, irritating, ad-generating pieces of crap in all of Christendom.

Needless to say that I declined to continue with the installation. For those who did, and if you find your browser suddenly acting strangely...
https://www.uninstallmalware.com/index.php?&Campaign=uninstallmalware&remove=mindspark&Network=o&QueryString=Mindspark%20Interactive&Ad=now

Wow, thanks for the warning. I read the article, but didn't try to listen. I'm sure others here appreciate the advisory. 

October 11, 2018 6:11 pm  #35

RadioActive wrote:

Dial Twister wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Wow, thanks for the warning. I read the article, but didn't try to listen. I'm sure others here appreciate the advisory. 

You may listen on Tune In without any extension. They are playing the Pretenders and Don't Get Me Wrong right now.  Would be great if the new aboriginal station had some triple A or triple A like programming along the lines of WXRT.

https://tunein.com/radio/oWOW-Cleveland-s241869/

Last edited by Fitz (October 12, 2018 8:50 am)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

October 12, 2018 8:05 am  #36

Dale once again you blow me away.  Your depth of knowledge in music is amazing.  Looking forward to listening to your station.  Congrats again Dale!!!

October 12, 2018 9:56 pm  #37

John D wrote:

Dale once again you blow me away.  Your depth of knowledge in music is amazing.  Looking forward to listening to your station.  Congrats again Dale!!!

Thanks John, but my knowledge of music pales in comparison to yours.

I go the idea for this, oddly enough, from Sirius-XM. They have a station called Deep Tracks, which is obscure album tracks and one of my favourite stations on that service (they even play Renaissance now and then). I suggested to them that it might be a good idea to have a Deep Tracks station for Top 40 music, which I humbly suggested they could call Bottom 40. They didn't think much of it, so I decided to start "Oh Wow! The Songs Radio Forgot."

BTW, I just realized that this month is the 20th anniversary of SOWNY. How about that! Two decades and at least six moderators later it's still here.

Last edited by Dale Patterson (October 12, 2018 9:58 pm)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

October 13, 2018 10:48 am  #38

Huge in Britain if I remember right, along with this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9NKs3h1CS8

Dale Patterson wrote:

It amazes how certain songs didn't become hits. What part of this 1974 song didn't have HIT written all over it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7j7XSOOZD8

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

October 13, 2018 10:36 pm  #39

Given its status as the hidden 11th track on the Lee Greenwood "God Bless the USA" album, there won't be much awareness on either side of the border for this song.

But, start it off and watch the eyes in the room. Surely, it ticks Dale's boxes for inclusion, in an usual way.

MCA 20605 - (on CD version only)
Barcode: 07674206052
Released January, 1995.

October 13, 2018 11:04 pm  #40

Dial Twister wrote:

Given its status as the hidden 11th track on the Lee Greenwood "God Bless the USA" album, there won't be much awareness on either side of the border for this song.

But, start it off and watch the eyes in the room. Surely, it ticks Dale's boxes for inclusion, in an usual way.

MCA 20605 - (on CD version only)
Barcode: 07674206052
Released January, 1995.

Just added. What a beautiful song. I should put a "hankie.alert" on that one.

October 14, 2018 9:00 am  #41

<br /><br /> 

October 14, 2018 9:14 am  #42

fyshtalk wrote:

<br /><br /> 

Just added. Good one Ig!

October 14, 2018 9:34 am  #43

The Clique song that had the highest chart position was Sugar on Sunday also recorded by Tommy James and the Shondells but the Clique had the hit, The b-side of that record was called "Superman" and REM did a nice cover of that:

Last edited by Fitz (October 14, 2018 9:37 am)

Cool Airchecks and More:

October 14, 2018 9:41 am  #44

Hands of the Clock - One of my favourite songs from a Canadian group called Life.

Last edited by alangee (October 14, 2018 9:42 am)

October 14, 2018 12:42 pm  #45

alangee wrote:

Hands of the Clock - One of my favourite songs from a Canadian group called Life.

I added that last night. Nice tune!

October 14, 2018 12:45 pm  #46

If you're looking for Can Con (and I've never been accused of doing that!) here's a great song that never gets played - but used to. 

October 14, 2018 3:17 pm  #47

RadioActive wrote:

If you're looking for Can Con (and I've never been accused of doing that!) here's a great song that never gets played - but used to. 

That's nice. I'll add that one.

October 14, 2018 4:37 pm  #48

OK Dale.  I'm sure they are in your playlist; but like you I was an instrumental nut.  Here's a few of my favs.

Woo-Hoo The Rock-A-Teens
Bulldog - The Fireballs
Al Caiola - Bonanza - Theme From The Magnificent Seven
Bent Fabric - Alley Cat

geo says your already playing Asia Minor by Kokomo

Ernie Fields - In The Mood
Dave Baby Cortez - The Happy Organ
Billy Vaughn - Sail Along Silv'ry Moon
Anything by Booker T & The MG's especially Double or Nothing from Hip Huger
Lonnie Mack - Memphis or Wham!
The Shadows -The Rise And Fall Of Flingel Bunt
The Shadows - Cosy

OK. That's enough for now; but I have a lot more requests sir.  Thanks for your wonderful site!!!

October 14, 2018 8:24 pm  #49

John D wrote:

OK Dale.  I'm sure they are in your playlist; but like you I was an instrumental nut.  Here's a few of my favs.

Woo-Hoo The Rock-A-Teens
Bulldog - The Fireballs
Al Caiola - Bonanza - Theme From The Magnificent Seven
Bent Fabric - Alley Cat

geo says your already playing Asia Minor by Kokomo

Ernie Fields - In The Mood
Dave Baby Cortez - The Happy Organ
Billy Vaughn - Sail Along Silv'ry Moon
Anything by Booker T & The MG's especially Double or Nothing from Hip Huger
Lonnie Mack - Memphis or Wham!
The Shadows -The Rise And Fall Of Flingel Bunt
The Shadows - Cosy

OK. That's enough for now; but I have a lot more requests sir.  Thanks for your wonderful site!!!

Thanks John. Good suggestions!

October 15, 2018 11:33 am  #50

October 15, 2018 11:34 am  #51

One more...from Doctor Music ..and one of my Canadian favourites!!

October 15, 2018 1:24 pm  #52

Nice tune, with a bluesy sound. I'll add it.

Last edited by Dale Patterson (October 15, 2018 1:36 pm)

October 15, 2018 6:07 pm  #53

This early 70s CanCon gem gets minimal airplay on radio anymore,and that's a crime. Been a big fan since we were both teens. Try some Shirley Eikhard . She's more than something to talk about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUasRRdypTE

Last edited by BossRadio (October 15, 2018 6:13 pm)

October 16, 2018 7:51 am  #54

Hello Dale, I have contributed one song, "Out In The Country" (Three Dog Night), and would like to contribute more, but I don't want to duplicate, even triplicate, ones already offered.

Unless it is I haven't seen one, can you make available a list of songs submitted so far, by a a link-to, or even made part of this thread. I can see where this post will go on for some length of time.

In reference to your like of the Sirius channel "Deep Tracks", I too am a big fan of their playlist. I should say 'was', as I no longer subscribe. What I've started doing is listen to Oh Wow! while driving my daily 3 hour commute.

Much thanks for the entertainment!

Cheers

Last edited by DeepTracks (October 16, 2018 7:52 am)

October 16, 2018 12:43 pm  #55

DeepTracks wrote:

Hello Dale, I have contributed one song, "Out In The Country" (Three Dog Night), and would like to contribute more, but I don't want to duplicate, even triplicate, ones already offered.

Unless it is I haven't seen one, can you make available a list of songs submitted so far, by a a link-to, or even made part of this thread. I can see where this post will go on for some length of time.

In reference to your like of the Sirius channel "Deep Tracks", I too am a big fan of their playlist. I should say 'was', as I no longer subscribe. What I've started doing is listen to Oh Wow! while driving my daily 3 hour commute.

Much thanks for the entertainment!

Cheers

Here's the playlist as of right now. Adding new songs every day.

http://rockradioscrapbook.ca/ohwow-playlist.html

October 16, 2018 2:11 pm  #56

This is great. Songs I can sing along with, hi. Do you have "Fresh As A Daisy" by Emmitt Rhodes? And for CN content, "Some Sing Some Dance" by Michel Pagliaro? (heard in SE MI on CKLW in the summer of 72).

Also just heard "Suddenly You Love Me" by the Tremolos, w its lyrical shout out to WOHO in Toledo ("woe-hoe ... ")

October 16, 2018 2:49 pm  #57

TomSanders wrote:

This is great. Songs I can sing along with, hi. Do you have "Fresh As A Daisy" by Emmitt Rhodes? And for CN content, "Some Sing Some Dance" by Michel Pagliaro? (heard in SE MI on CKLW in the summer of 72).

Also just heard "Suddenly You Love Me" by the Tremolos, w its lyrical shout out to WOHO in Toledo ("woe-hoe ... ")

Emitt Rhodes - now there is a deep tracks classic. That first album where he played all of the instruments ala McCartney was played on station like CHUM FM and WPHD and Fresh as a Daisy was number 54 on Billboard and his former group the Merry-Go-Round made it all the way up to number 63 in 1967. A One man Beatle for sure:

Cool Airchecks and More:

October 16, 2018 7:43 pm  #58

There are other versions of this song, but the original from 1960 (written by Phil Everly) still gets me every time. Sadly, it's not played anymore, but could there be a better example of rockabilly, and the amazing harmonies of these two? It peaked at #16 on the Canadian RPM Top Singles chart.

Not their biggest hit, but my god!

October 17, 2018 8:04 am  #59

Here are a couple more great Canadian songs from the late 60's 

I Would Be the One - Kensington Market
When I Die - Motherload

October 17, 2018 9:13 am  #60

One hit wonder..Make Believe - Wind https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0EUmYXYAao