sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 23, 2018 3:08 pm  #1

CKNT

I'm really curious about this radio station.  Really I am.  There are two separate post categories on this station that add up to 110 posts.  110 posts.  I don't get it.  Legendary broadcasters pass away and we get maybe 4 posts.  I'm waiting for someone to tell me CKNT is the future of radio; but; after reading about there launch I'm afraid I'm still a little confused about this Excitement.  Not being sarcastic here, I just don't get it.  50's 60's 70's radio.  I think it's been done many times before.  Enlighten me please.

September 23, 2018 3:36 pm  #2

Re: CKNT

AMFM wrote:

I just don't get it   

Successful radio is all about target demographics and you're not a target or you WOULD get it. 

September 23, 2018 4:08 pm  #3

AMFM wrote:

I'm really curious about this radio station.  Really I am.  There are two separate post categories on this station that add up to 110 posts.  110 posts.  I don't get it.  Legendary broadcasters pass away and we get maybe 4 posts.  I'm waiting for someone to tell me CKNT is the future of radio; but; after reading about there launch I'm afraid I'm still a little confused about this Excitement.  Not being sarcastic here, I just don't get it.  50's 60's 70's radio.  I think it's been done many times before.  Enlighten me please.

I think the reason this station has been the centre of so much attention - at least from me - is just the almost jaw dropping history behind it. Consider: it was approved in what, 2011? And it was supposed to sign on by say, 2013. But over and over and over, there were delays, transmitter location issues, obfuscations, explanations and other detritus, all while the owners were trying to get an AM news/talk format on the air for Mississauga.

The whole thing was absurd on its face and the fact that it took them seven years (!)  to get even a test signal up and running just added to the farcical nature of the station. I was honestly beginning to believe it would never sign on and the licence turned in, when suddenly, almost miraculously, a signal beamed out on June 18th, some 2,556 days since the licence was granted. 

But even when it finally began, this sordid saga (or should that be Sauga?) wasn't over. Their test signal went on and on and on for months. You might think after waiting so long to actually start they'd be in a hurry to try and make up for lost time. But no. In a conversation I had with one of their reps, I was told they were in "soft launch" mode and there wouldn't be any full time programing until sometime at the end of October! And this from a place that waited 7 years to start and then tested for months. 

The entire thing is like an episode of WKRP to me, and I suspect to others here, as well. It's been a ridiculous, somewhat amateurish journey and it's still going on. If they ever actually do get it together, I suspect you won't see much else about them here. But until then, it's been a wild, crazy ride for those of us watching from the sidelines. And it isn't over yet!

And that, more than anything, may explain why it's getting more notice than it deserves.   

September 23, 2018 5:31 pm  #4

AMFM wrote:

I guess asking a question politely is not to be done here. Carry on geo.

Carrying on . . . if you can't receive it how on earth are you qualified to comment on it?

September 23, 2018 5:43 pm  #5

Thank you RA.  An intelligent and helpful answer.  That’s all I was looking for.

September 23, 2018 5:49 pm  #6

AMFM wrote:

An intelligent and helpful answer   

What AMFM said goes for me too

September 23, 2018 6:19 pm  #7

grilled.cheese wrote:

CKNT is going viral. 

Still waiting for them to add Frank D'Angelo to their playlist. 

September 23, 2018 10:23 pm  #8

RadioActive wrote:

Still waiting for them to add Frank D'Angelo to their playlist. 

That should ensure their success.

September 24, 2018 12:28 pm  #9

Perhaps the owners of CKNT are reading these posts and keeping the foolishness going on their airwaves so they can watch all the hype on this board lol

September 24, 2018 5:49 pm  #10

RadioActive wrote:

AMFM wrote:

I think the reason this station has been the centre of so much attention - at least from me - is just the almost jaw dropping history behind it. Consider: it was approved in what, 2011? And it was supposed to sign on by say, 2013. But over and over and over, there were delays, transmitter location issues, obfuscations, explanations and other detritus, all while the owners were trying to get an AM news/talk format on the air for Mississauga.

The whole thing was absurd on its face and the fact that it took them seven years (!)  to get even a test signal up and running just added to the farcical nature of the station. I was honestly beginning to believe it would never sign on and the licence turned in, when suddenly, almost miraculously, a signal beamed out on June 18th, some 2,556 days since the licence was granted. 

But even when it finally began, this sordid saga (or should that be Sauga?) wasn't over. Their test signal went on and on and on for months. You might think after waiting so long to actually start they'd be in a hurry to try and make up for lost time. But no. In a conversation I had with one of their reps, I was told they were in "soft launch" mode and there wouldn't be any full time programing until sometime at the end of October! And this from a place that waited 7 years to start and then tested for months. 

The entire thing is like an episode of WKRP to me, and I suspect to others here, as well. It's been a ridiculous, somewhat amateurish journey and it's still going on. If they ever actually do get it together, I suspect you won't see much else about them here. But until then, it's been a wild, crazy ride for those of us watching from the sidelines. And it isn't over yet!

And that, more than anything, may explain why it's getting more notice than it deserves.   

Once the station launches - if it ever does - interest here will most likely fade. But the odd and lengthy nature of the roll-out is rather captivating.

It would be interesting to know what's happening behind-the-scenes from someone involved with the station.

BTW, in my decade or so living in Mississauga, I never once heard that city referred to as "Sauga."

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

September 24, 2018 6:28 pm  #11

Dale Patterson wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

AMFM wrote:

Once the station launches - if it ever does - interest here will most likely fade. But the odd and lengthy nature of the roll-out is rather captivating.

It would be interesting to know what's happening behind-the-scenes from someone involved with the station.

BTW, in my decade or so living in Mississauga, I never once heard that city referred to as "Sauga."

A lot of the new generation millennials started the term less than a decade ago.  "I live in Sauga" is something one would say. 

September 24, 2018 11:40 pm  #12

markow202 wrote:

Dale Patterson wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

A lot of the new generation millennials started the term less than a decade ago.  "I live in Sauga" is something one would say. 

I moved away in 1988, so that explains it.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

September 25, 2018 8:13 am  #13

Well I'm from Oshawa; which is now called "The Shwa" by many younger people.  I once referred to it as the Shwa (retelling the story of the first time I heard the term) on CFRB and got some nasty phone calls; from Boomers in Oshawa.  

September 25, 2018 9:04 pm  #14

markow202 wrote:

Perhaps the owners of CKNT are reading these posts and keeping the foolishness going on their airwaves so they can watch all the hype on this board lol

I think the number of people on the board is bigger than their entire audience!

September 26, 2018 1:26 pm  #15

RadioActive wrote:

markow202 wrote:

I think the number of people on the board is bigger than their entire audience!

I tuned in last night breifly in the car - it took me a good minute or so to realize Rolling Stones were playing because the audio is so bad - or just because its AM in general.  This was also on a Bose system too.

September 26, 2018 7:03 pm  #16

John D wrote:

Well I'm from Oshawa; which is now called "The Shwa" by many younger people.  I once referred to it as the Shwa (retelling the story of the first time I heard the term) on CFRB and got some nasty phone calls; from Boomers in Oshawa.  

I drove through downtown Shwa today, John, for the first time in many months. I went to high school there, just like you...just not the same one. 

MY GOD!!! Someone needs to give that city a good shake.