sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 13, 2018 9:20 pm  #1

Molly Johnson talks about the Festival, Jazz and Jazz FM

Singer/performer and organizer of the Kensington Jazz Fest this weekend, Molly Johnson, talks candidly about the music biz, the state of Jazz and the sorry state of affairs at Jazz FM...there is a lot not being made public at the station...and will donors stay away in droves this fall for the next fall campaign!

Here is more on Molly...

https://nowtoronto.com/music/features/local-hero-molly-johnson-kensington-market-jazz-festival/

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

September 14, 2018 8:02 pm  #2

Re: Molly Johnson talks about the Festival, Jazz and Jazz FM

375 episodes of Toronto Mike'd, and only one went sideways on me. And that one was recorded last month with Molly Johnson. You have to hear this one to believe it.

Last edited by torontomike (September 14, 2018 8:04 pm)

September 15, 2018 5:07 pm  #3

torontomike wrote:

375 episodes of Toronto Mike'd, and only one went sideways on me. And that one was recorded last month with Molly Johnson. You have to hear this one to believe it.

Uncomfortable listening to this. Johnson's comments on the JAZZ.FM implosion were interesting, including the fact that, minus a number of former station personalities, the place is playing more music -- not a bad thing...
Mike mentioned he'd done a recent podcast with Bill King, who, with his past at CJRT/JAZZ.FM, had quite a few things to say about the situation.
I listened to it, enjoyed the whole thing, runtime is long at 1:50. The JAZZ.FM stuff comes at the end, in the last 10 minutes or so. Here's da link...

http://www.torontomike.com/2018/07/toronto_miked_podcast_episode_361.html

September 16, 2018 11:35 am  #4

Mike, your too nice a guy.  I know many an interviewer that would have shut it down much earlier.

September 16, 2018 1:26 pm  #5

AMFM wrote:

I know many an interviewer that would have shut it down much earlier.

Since we're talking about two podcasts, one with many negatives, the other not so much, I'm going to guess
that you're talking about the first, Molly Johnson. Hard to tell, because they're both too long. (Personal
preference)
Johnson's talent blows me away, but this podcast doesn't do her any favours. Both she and Mike would have
been better off, because of the circumstances, saving it for another day.

Now, podcasts. Too many are too long. Edit, edit, edit. How many people have almost two hours to listen?
Most people are gone if a Web page doesn't load in a couple of seconds. Think Sixty Minutes. It takes them
less than twenty minutes to tell a story well, less than 40 for something major. I guess I'm just not a podcast fan.

September 18, 2018 8:20 am  #6

mike marshall wrote:

they're both too long

Ep 361 with Bill King is exactly 1:49:41. There's not a minute in that conversation I'd want to edit out.

I sure don't target two hours. I press record, start the convo and see what it goes. Some episodes have been 40 minutes, and then there's a recent ep with TSN's Dan O'Toole that went 2:38:49. I totally understand why you (and others!) would avoid programs that length, but I've made a decision not to edit Toronto Mike'd. For better or for worse...

September 18, 2018 11:12 am  #7

True, it's ideal if you subscribe, but here's a nice link if you just want to play an ep with more controls and the ability to listen at 2x the speed: https://overcast.fm/itunes557260245/toronto-miked-podcast

Last edited by torontomike (September 18, 2018 11:13 am)

September 18, 2018 1:04 pm  #8

Tim Brown 2016 wrote:

torontomike,

Are you open to looking at embedding a more comprehensive media player on your website? Hosting the episodes on SoundCloud? Just a thought...

No, sir.

What I love about podcasting is that it's open source. I just have to host an MP3 and a valid XML file. Apple, Google, Stitcher, TuneIn, et al just have to read that one little file and subscribers are updated in real-time. 

On my site I do embed an HTML5 audio player, for those who want to drop by and play from there, but subscribing is where you'll find all your bells and whistles. I prefer it that way.

Last edited by torontomike (September 19, 2018 7:29 pm)