sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 7, 2018 12:01 am  #1

Friday Flashback: Weird Promotables

Last week, we looked at some of the bumper stickers and decals that every radio station seems to have by the thousands – and that almost no one puts on their cars or windows. And that was just a few of them.

If memory serves, there used to be a wall of them in the background of the studio on WKRP In Cincinnati, with more being added by contributions from stations as the series went on.

But those weren’t the only promotable items that some radio stations specialized in. There were pens, buttons, note paper and more. And those were some of the more normal giveaways. Here are a few others.

Radio Rubiks Cubes

These were likely more popular during the craze’s peak, and some radio stations decided it would be a good idea to drive their listeners crazy by trying to solve the colour scheme.

Popping Their Balloons

I’m guessing these were more for appearances when a station was doing remotes. They weren’t given away, but they also couldn’t be reused, either.

Throwing In The Towels

These were likely more for clients and advertisers than listeners. And they were pretty expensive, so they probably weren’t all that common.

Catch This While You Can

A lot of these things were disposable. But here’s one that was literally a throwaway – radio station Frisbees.

Taking Licence

These would never be allowed in Ontario, where cars need two licence plates. But in places elsewhere in North America, these could have found their way onto your ride.

A Key Component

I’ve collected a few keychains over the years but most stations I worked at never had them. Obviously, many others did. Notice the ones from the CBC, along with the mic flashes.

I Sure Could Use A Belt

I’ve never actually seen one of these, but this picture proves they exist – belt buckles with a radio station’s logo or branding on them. It’s enough to make you “pant.”

Next week in our "Time Machine," another look at the news in a way you've never seen it reported and why one Toronto radio newscaster ended up in MAD Magazine. 

September 7, 2018 10:11 am  #2

Re: Friday Flashback: Weird Promotables

Not really bumper stickers but let's put a little Cancon in here.

September 7, 2018 10:14 am  #3

Wow. I'd completely forgotten about the pins, which a lot of stations had. (Didn't CFTR have something like a $50,000 button as part of a contest?) Thanks for adding those!  

September 7, 2018 10:50 am  #4

yup, but not quite as rich...

[/img]