sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 28, 2018 8:37 pm  #1

Radio Station Employees On Armed Patrol & Threatening To Shoot To Kill

What the hell is going on at a radio station in the small town of Swan River, Manitoba? Imagine if after your announcing shift, you were required to arm yourself and patrol the streets, threatening to shoot any intruders.

If you think that’s a strange job requirement, you don’t work for CJSB-FM. In the past few weeks, there have been physical attacks on the building that houses the radio station, attempted and actual break-ins and a threat that if it didn’t stop broadcasting by last weekend, someone would burn the place down.

Now that’s bizarre enough. But here’s what’s even stranger. Employees of the outlet have taken to patrolling the streets of the town in the middle of the night after their shifts looking for these “vigilantes” – and even threatening to shoot them on sight!

That drew the attention of the local RCMP and forced a mini-retraction from the owners, but the armed patrols still haven’t stopped.

I wish this story was fiction, but you couldn’t write it and make it believable. A look at its Facebook page is simply astounding. Among the passages that left me stunned:

“We have made the decision that any patrols or overnight occupancy efforts will include at least one member who is licensed to carry firearms. This is not a decision we take lightly. We assure you that any such efforts will be within the scope of the appropriate firearms laws.

The deadline for us to cease operations in Swan River expires this weekend. As you may have deduced, we will be doing no such thing.”

And then they address the culprit or culprits:

“…please consider this statement fair warning. We consider your death to be a direct consequence of your choice to be a criminal. We have instructed all of our staff to defend themselves using non-lethal methods where possible. Should you take actions that cause them to fear for their lives, they have been instructed to use lethal means of ending your threat.”

This is a small town radio station! It’s simply unbelievable, but it’s been happening for several weeks.

And you thought some people were mad at Jerry Agar!

Meanwhile, I wouldn't apply for any openings at CJSB. I hear the job is a killer. 

Read the station's full Facebook warning here.

Winnipeg Free Press: RCMP warns radio station against vigilante justice

August 29, 2018 10:28 am  #2

Re: Radio Station Employees On Armed Patrol & Threatening To Shoot To Kill

Back in '63 when Al Boliska left CHUM for CKEY, Mr. Waters (he wasn't Allan yet) issued a loaded 45 caliber six-shooter to Fred Snyder (Moose Latreck) and instructed Fred to prowl the lobby to protect his receptionist from angry hordes.     Fortunately, Fred was a lousy shot, although a few listeners did get hit in the arse

August 29, 2018 11:45 am  #3

I'm not sure what format the station in Swan River is, but I'll bet all their Billboard hits are #1 - with a bullet!

August 29, 2018 12:18 pm  #4

Here are a few songs banned from the playlist at this "hitmanitoba" station...

1. I shot the Sheriff- Bob Marley

2. Shoot em up baby-Andy Kim

3. Shotgun- Junior Walker and the All Stars

4. Pumped up Kicks - Foster the People

and ...

5. Shoot to thrill- AC/DC

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...