sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 27, 2018 8:45 am  #1

Is This The Best Newscaster Name Ever?

Or maybe I should ask is this the worst?

I was listening to CBC Radio 1 the other day, admittedly a rarity for me, when they did a report on those terrible fires ravaging British Columbia. But it was the name of the person covering the story that caught my ears. And I can only wonder, if this is her real name, why in the world her parents would stick her with this unfortunate monicker for life. 

Her name?

Anita Bathe.

Yes, I need a bath. She's apparently quite a well known anchor and reporter out west for the Corp. in B.C. And she was quite good. But I can't imagine going on the air using that name, when it clearly sounds like a very bad pun.

August 27, 2018 9:11 am  #2

Re: Is This The Best Newscaster Name Ever?

I recall CNN having a rip'n'reader called 'Willow Bay'. Obvious semiotics aside, her name sounded like a retirement home.

August 27, 2018 9:14 am  #3

I always liked the name Phil Meighan, he was at Wave 94.7 in Hamilton for a few years...it is a great name for a news guy... "Fill Me In"...

Anita Bathe...just makes you wonder why no PD ever asked them to change their names?

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

August 27, 2018 9:17 am  #4

Why do I get a feeling that Moe Szyslak is about to get a call from Bart Simpson?

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

August 27, 2018 9:25 am  #5

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

Anita Bathe...just makes you wonder why no PD ever asked them to change their names?

Because it's the CBC.

August 27, 2018 10:15 am  #6

Another good name was J. Paul Huddleston, a well-known California newscaster. And he stretched it out, much like Peter Coleman does with his last name on 680 News.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

August 27, 2018 10:42 am  #7

It's possible that Ms. Bathe is quite comfortable with her name and refused in the past when/if someone asked her to use something else. Perhaps Anita Bathe is not her real name. In any case, she has a name that stands out to some, which, if anything, goes in her favour.

August 27, 2018 11:04 am  #8

It certainly explains Wolf Blitzer's career.

August 27, 2018 11:43 am  #9

Anita was one of my students at BCIT.  I suggested that she should choose a different air name.  She ignored my advice and was quite insulted as I explained my reasons.  She landed a job at News 1130 in Vancouver and was a reporter there for several years before landing at CBC.

August 27, 2018 1:10 pm  #10

By the way, WIllow Bay, that so called CNN 'ripn'reader' did quite alright for herself.  She's married to Walt Disney Chairman and CEO Robert Iger. 

August 27, 2018 1:20 pm  #11

It's still good to know, that in the year 2018, a woman's worth is measured by her alliance with a man.

August 27, 2018 3:05 pm  #12

The first Asian-American anchor on CNN was Sasha Foo.  

For years, CFPL in London had an anchor named John Thomas

August 27, 2018 3:35 pm  #13

Is it either humorous or ironic that posters on this board mostly using absurd aliases or partial names are pointing out absurd aliases and partial names?

As for changing on-air names: again, say it with me, that time is in the past. Certainly it was the norm years ago to radioify or Anglicize given names into something more palpable. This isn't really a "thing" anymore unless the jock wants a change for whatever reason.

August 27, 2018 7:11 pm  #14

Dale Patterson wrote:

Another good name was J. Paul Huddleston, a well-known California newscaster. And he stretched it out, much like Peter Coleman does with his last name on 680 News.

Peter Coleman was such an excellent sport, and could mimic his own delivery. Ask anyone who was lucky enough to work alongside him.

Our daughters grew up watching Willow Bay. She modeled, raised kids and worked in journalism simultaneously. Maybe those here don't know that, but a generation of young women do.

Perhaps aliases are absurd. This is not the era of Cary Grant or the zigfeld follies. There are some awesome monikers in Toronto radio that showcase our diversity.

Think I need a Bathe!

August 27, 2018 8:18 pm  #15

Perhaps 'rip'n'reader' is not appropriate, as it favours radio as a medium and suggests the slightest hint of editorial control. 'Bingo-caller' would fit nicely.

August 27, 2018 8:33 pm  #16

I was just thinking... there once was a reporter for City Pulse News (as it was once called) known simply as "Peter Gross" 
It sure would be funny if Peter did a story today, then went to Anita for the next story.

"I'm Peter Gross...over to you Anita Bathe..." 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

August 27, 2018 10:16 pm  #17

I also recall Rayfield Wright with CFTR back when it was a hit radio station, around when "Big" Jim Brady was morning man...

So it is goes ...I'm Peter Gross, over to you Anita Bathe...isn't that right Mr. Wright?   (thanks for the set up RW) ;)

Last edited by Muffaraw Joe (August 27, 2018 10:17 pm)

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

August 28, 2018 10:33 am  #18

Radiowiz wrote:

I was just thinking... there once was a reporter for City Pulse News (as it was once called) known simply as "Peter Gross" 
It sure would be funny if Peter did a story today, then went to Anita for the next story.

"I'm Peter Gross...over to you Anita Bathe..." 

Is Peter Gross still at 680 News?

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

August 28, 2018 10:56 am  #19

Yes, I heard him this morning. I think he's been there since they went all news.

August 28, 2018 11:43 am  #20

I recall that he once did a sports report from an Atlanta peeler bar during the 96 Olympics (yet another 680 News high point). The story I heard was that he couldn't get accreditation. Anyone know anything about this?