sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 17, 2018 3:59 pm  #1

​MyFM Wins “Excuse Of The Month Award” In CRTC Decision

Congratulations to the folks at My Broadcasting Peterborough's CJMB-FM for what has to be the greatest excuse for breaking the rules heard before the CRTC this year. Jon Pole should be proud. 

Their “non-compliance” issue actually centred around playing music from a category they weren’t supposed to use. (They actually got their condition of license changed so it won’t be a factor in the future.)  

But when it came to explaining what happened and why, they came up with a wonderful bit of doggerel that I can’t help but admire for its creativity and originality.    

It’s explained in a CRTC release and it’s a classic. (The italics are mine):

“The licensee acknowledged the non-compliance and suggested that there was a misunderstanding of the Commission’s definition of local programming. The licensee believed that commercials would qualify as local programming if they were produced separately and exclusively for the station.

“My Broadcasting argued that commercials can be of direct and particular relevance to local communities by promoting local economic events and activities.

And then the piece-de-resistance:

“The licensee compared the spectacle of local commercials broadcast on small town radio to that of television commercials broadcast during the Super Bowl.”

Now that, as my grandmother might once have said, takes a lot of chutzpah. Yes, folks, not only did they try to claim that commercials count as “local programming,” but they also dragged the Super Bowl ad controversy into the mix while they were at it!

I always get a secret kick out of politicians and corporations trying to get away with idiotic statements, hoping no one will notice. They didn’t in this case (the Commission renewed their license for a shorter-than-normal five year period) but I have to give them credit for giving it the old college try.

CRTC Decision

August 17, 2018 4:11 pm  #2

Re: ​MyFM Wins “Excuse Of The Month Award” In CRTC Decision

MyFM should be flogged mercilessly for their assertions that they are "hyper local". They are NOT. Sure, most of their morning drives are local, but the rest of the day is tracked out to the entire network out of (I believe) Pembroke. That is not local.

It follows the same model as UCB. Except they don't even do a local drive. Their entire line-up is tracked to the whole net out of Belleville and/or Chatham.

May the shirtless floggings begin.

August 17, 2018 8:04 pm  #3

While the "commercials are local content" argument is quite the stretch, it's still a bit unfair that airing an hour of the Jim Rome Show isn't local, but their competitors airing an hour of music programmed out of Hamilton with no announcer breaks is.

August 17, 2018 10:00 pm  #4

This is brilliant.   But why not expand:

A commercial with a music bed, written, produced and voiced by a Canadian has to be considered Can Con.

Or how about a local commercial with big news about a Back to School Sale has to be considered Local News content.

Could commercials with no music bed be considered Spoken Word for CRTC consideration ?

Remember where you heard this first.